Choosing New Brake Pads

Vivica
Vivica Posts: 68
edited April 2011 in Commuting general
I desperately need to buy some new brake pads for my Tricross... my front brakes need to be replaced, and my back pads will need replacing within the month.

I've had enough of the rubbish pads available at my local shop, and want to buy online, maybe even buy quite a bulk.

What does BikeRader suggest?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/rim-brake-pads/
http://www.evanscycles.com/categories/b ... pare-parts

Comments

• Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    SwissStop Green are superb for daily riding.

Koolstop (Salmon I think) also come recommended by many. (I'm a Swiss man myself)
  • Vivica
    Cheers Pokerface, I've been thinking about SwissStop the last couple of times i've needed new pads and have just gone for whatever crap my local shop sells.

They're a hell of a lot more expensive than any pads i've bought before, and double the KoolStop equivalent. Are they really worth the extra cash?

And where do you buy from?
  • northstar
    northstar Posts: 407
    I recently changed mine to koolstop, can't recommend them enough.
    Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.
  • Underscore
    Underscore Posts: 730
    Does the Tricross have mini-Vs? I've tried a few different V-brakes pads (including KoolStop but not SwissStop) and have settled on Clarks Cartridge pads. Seem at least as effective as anything else I've used and more resistant to squeal than a lot. Wear a little quicker than some but replacement pads are £3.99, so I can live with that!

_
  • Moodyman
    Moodyman Posts: 158
    Underscore wrote:
    Does the Tricross have mini-Vs? I've tried a few different V-brakes pads (including KoolStop but not SwissStop) and have settled on Clarks Cartridge pads. Seem at least as effective as anything else I've used and more resistant to squeal than a lot. Wear a little quicker than some but replacement pads are £3.99, so I can live with that!

_

Clarks are a very good compromise if you don't want Koolstop or Swissstop.
  • Vivica
    Underscore wrote:

_

They're proper MTB style brakes on mine.
    I'll have a look at Clarks, thanks for the suggestion.

My front pads hit metal today so i'm presently riding back brake only, thank God it's sunny at the moment!!
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    Moodyman wrote:
    Clarks are a very good compromise if you don't want Koolstop or Swissstop.
    Not in my experience. No problems with braking on Clarks V-brake pads, and they have a fairly hard feel, which I prefer.

But they pick up swarf from the rims. Which is rather bad, as it causes the brake pads to become cutting tools. There are various threads about this on CTC, and Koolstop website has pictures of this effect from one of the CTC threads. Clarks not as bad as Shimano.

So you'll be wanting Koolstop or Swiss Stop then. Maybe Aztec are OK too. Koolstop works for us, so haven't tried anything else.

Turns out Koolstops wear a lot slower than the Clarks pads.
  • Drfabulous0
    Drfabulous0 Posts: 1,539
    +1 for the SwissStop, you get what you pay for.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    jejv wrote:

If you scroll through the link to the picture of the Clarks & Kool stop side by side; the really pitted one resembles the kool stop that I've just removed.
  • Underscore
    jejv wrote:
    No problems with braking on Clarks V-brake pads, and they have a fairly hard feel, which I prefer.

But they pick up swarf from the rims. Which is rather bad, as it causes the brake pads to become cutting tools. There are various threads about this on CTC, and Koolstop website has pictures of this effect from one of the CTC threads. Clarks not as bad as Shimano

Interesting. I didn't get that with the set I've just replaced but I've also replaced my rear wheel so I will keep an eye on them in case the effect is rim dependent. Koolstop seem to be about twice the price of Clarks so, if the rim lasts longer - and maybe even the pad too - it may be worth the money.

SwissStop, however, are almost as much for a pair of inserts (£18 from CRC) as I paid for my rim (£22 - Mavic Open Sport) so I'll happily accept a little more rim wear on my commuter. Of course, if you've got nicer wheels, the cost maybe justified if they're a lot gentler on your rims...

_
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    gbsahne wrote:
    [If you scroll through the link to the picture of the Clarks & Kool stop side by side; the really pitted one resembles the kool stop that I've just removed.
    I suspect there are other factors - perhaps the exact rim alloy, and how it's been processed.

Our experience since I switched all our bikes to Koolstop a couple of years ago is summed up in the picture. Except that Shimano pads were a lot worse.

The view in the CTC threads seemed to be that koolstop didn't necessarily eliminate the problem, but made it less likely and/or less severe.

I speculated that the problem could be related to modern machined rims. I don't think there's any heat treatment after machining, & I suspect that stresses & micro-fractures produced by machining make it more likely that pieces of the ridges will break off & get stuck in the pads. So on this - speculative - basis, I'd rather have shot-peened rims. But the problem does apparently occur with plain rims as well as machined rims. We haven't seen it on plain rims.

What rims are you using ? On-road or off road ?
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Value is with the KoolStops, but the SwissStops are that bit better.
    exercise.png
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    jejv wrote:
    What rims are you using ? On-road or off road ?

Shimano R500s on the front and Mavic A319 on the rear; the front was noticeably worse than the rear.
  • My Tricross has the mini cantis and the Avid pads are rubbish (and squeal a lot). Switched to Koolstop V brake inserts and they are so much better at stopping and make no noise. £8/pair is a good price and they seem to last quite well
  • Vivica
    I'm going to go with Kool Stops for now, see how much better they are than what i'm using at the moment, if they're not up to scratch i'll consider trying others.

Can somebody just explain for me though... Are these http://www.wiggle.co.uk/kool-stop-thinl ... 5360025005 blocks that take these inserts? http://www.wiggle.co.uk/kool-stop-v-bra ... f-inserts/

Very confused...
  • Vivica
    Anybody know?
    Cheers.
  • Underscore
    Vivica wrote:
    Anybody know?

The first link is a pair of replacement cartridge pads. The second is a pair of disposable brake pads. If you want to use the former, you need to by the holders (which come with at least one set of pads. Something like this:

4785.jpg

If you look, you can see a metal holder, into which the pad slides and there is then a small pin that holds the pad in place. They are fitted so that braking forces push the pad further into the holder, of course.

HTH,

_
  • The inserts would fit in blocks like these http://www.wiggle.co.uk/kool-stop-tecto ... ke-blocks/.

I think the blocks you linked to don't take inserts, looks like you'd have to replace the whole block when its worn
  • Vivica
    How annoying - i think they only stock the blocks for the multi-compound inserts, and not the single insert blocks.

OH WELL... i've bought a pair of these - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/kool-stop-thinl ... 5360025005, will see how they perform before buying any more.

Thanks all.