Dogs...grrr

Mike67
Mike67 Posts: 585
edited April 2011 in The bottom bracket
Out riding in the middle of nowhere today admiring the scenery...just turned off the Buxton to Leek road and passing a garden when two nice doggies (a Rottweiler and Jack Russel type) in the garden started the usual maniacal barking and growling at me on a bike.

No matter thinks me...they are in the garden behind the wall...I'm on the road...safe enough.

They run along to the bottom of the garden and sh*t they've jumped over and are now taking a keen interest in scaring the proverbial out of me.

Luckily they thought twice about attacking a rapidly spinning foot and gave up the chase once I'd put my foot down. Not before I'd veered into the road to avoid them though.

I wouldn't have minded having a word with their owner but then there was no way I was turning round :D

Might not be much use to many but anyone passing a house just past The Winking Man pub near The Roaches on th ejunction heading towards Warslow then keep an eye out and be prepared for a bit of sprint training :D .
Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
Lots of bits

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,191
    Got chased by a couple of farm dogs a few weeks back, I was knackered at the time and couldn't outsprint them but fortunately I unclipped my foot and a few wild lunges kept them at bay until I reached a downhill stretch. Good interval training! :shock:
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Mike67 wrote:
    Out riding in the middle of nowhere today admiring the scenery...just turned off the Buxton to Leek road and passing a garden when two nice doggies (a Rottweiler and Jack Russel type) in the garden started the usual maniacal barking and growling at me on a bike.

No matter thinks me...they are in the garden behind the wall...I'm on the road...safe enough.

They run along to the bottom of the garden and sh*t they've jumped over and are now taking a keen interest in scaring the proverbial out of me.

Luckily they thought twice about attacking a rapidly spinning foot and gave up the chase once I'd put my foot down. Not before I'd veered into the road to avoid them though.

I wouldn't have minded having a word with their owner but then there was no way I was turning round :D

Might not be much use to many but anyone passing a house just past The Winking Man pub near The Roaches on th ejunction heading towards Warslow then keep an eye out and be prepared for a bit of sprint training :D .

Good tip Mike-will make sure not in the lantern rouge next time Im up that way-are you a Merc by any chance?
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Ha ha same thing happened to me went from a leisurely 15 to 25 mph followed by 2 dobermans.

I read that the way to stop dogs chasing is to stop. Apparently its the stimulation of a dogs virtual cortex that makes them chase you. Not much comfort when you have to use a forum search facility to search for your testaclons. :lol:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Aww, quit yer whingin' - it could be worse :wink:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... 14&t=85048
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Mike67
    "Good tip Mike-will make sure not in the lantern rouge next time Im up that way-are you a Merc by any chance?"

Err, no I'm from the competition, at least where the inter club TT is concerned :D ...Matlock. Still not dog proof though :lol:
    Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
    Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
    Lots of bits
  • AndyF16
    AndyF16 Posts: 506
    I generally don't like 'shit machines' at the best of times, but got chased the other week out on the Fens by a collie - no way I was going to outrun it so just hurled a few choice expletives at it. Didn't bother me that much until I realised afterwards that I'd veered onto the (luckily empty) opposite side of the road without realising in keeping away from it
    2011 Bianchi D2 Cavaria in celeste (of course!)
    2011 Enigma Echo 57cm in naked Ti
    2009 Orange G2 19" in, erm orange
  • hennez
    hennez Posts: 255
    i was riding with my mate the other day and he was getting chased by a dog so he just stopped and jumped his bike and the thing crapped itself and runoff
    My bike takes me places that school never could
  • My dog took an interest in fast moving cyclists. I didn't know he had an interest until he was *pooff* - gone and all I could see was a weaving rider in the distance and a little brown spec bouncing around next to him/her that turned out to be my simply delighted doggie - best fun he'd had for ages, fast moving human to play with. Followed them for quite a long way - over the road & on down by the river. I was walking and they were speeding along, gap between me & them getting bigger all the time. How on earth am I supposed to get little brown dot back under control? Fecking thing not listening - too far away and having too much fun. Finally rider twigged and stopped. Dog lost interest immediately and trotted back. Tried to punish dog but he was too knackered to care. Took a year or more to get him to stop chasing bikes.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I usually stop as I quite like dogs and they mostly just want to see what you are (and, being dogs, whether or not you've got any bacon). Unfortunately they usually lose interest once I stop, apart from the collies at the chicken farm that check me out and then piss off back to the farmhouse once they've established that I'm only there to buy eggs. I'm sure if I was a salesman they'd know, somehow.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    I nearly got jumped on by a HUGE fluffy dog ones, I was doing about 26mph cause I flawed it to get past it.
  • tobermory
    tobermory Posts: 138
    I TRY AND REMEMBER WHERE THEY PESTERED ME THEN RETURN LATER AND SHOOT THE FLEA RIDDEN PESTS
    Never trust anyone who says trust me
  • kev77
    kev77 Posts: 433
    tobermory wrote:
    I TRY AND REMEMBER WHERE THEY PESTERED ME THEN RETURN LATER AND SHOOT THE FLEA RIDDEN PESTS

CAPS LOCK ON
  • Mike67
    kev77 wrote:
    tobermory wrote:

CAPS LOCK ON

Other finger's on the trigger...guess he can't switch CAPS LOCK off at the mo :D

Not sure I would have advocated shooting them.
    Not sure I would have stopped either as others have suggested, they didn't seem the type of pooches that just wanted to play...more likely have a good chew on my scrawny legs judging by the seriously menacing growling and baring of teeth. Convinced the hell out of me anyway. :D
    Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
    Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
    Lots of bits
  • tobermory
    sorry about caps lock i didn't know it caused so much angst,nothing wrong with shooting them as long as it's quick then follow up with the owner 8)
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    It's bad or lazy owners that generate angry dogs. Usually they're just naturally curious creatures, I've got 3 greyhounds that love my bike cos they get to run with the boss closer to their leg speed than mine. I bring them to heel when other bikes go past because they associate any bike with me & having a good run beside it. I know they're harmless and sensible but the other biker generally doesnt so I rein them in to avoid a reaction from the person, not for fear of my dogs doing anything untoward.

I see a lot of people start to waft and flail at dogs which makes them think you want to play and encourages them to be more growly and jumpy uppy as you've started the game.

Tobermory, I'm sure theres a lot of car drivers that would happily advocate shooting you and crushing your bike & I'm sure we'd all have a good laugh on here at such a stupid sentiment if directed at us wouldn't we. Think of the abuse Adam Rayner and James Martin have had on here for far less but aimed at cyclists.
  • tobermory
    take it easy as someone who has had over 40 odd stitches from an english bullterrier hanging on my leg i am a bit sensitive over it,i also take stick most days from cyclists due to the fact that i drive an artic for a living so i know what its like
  • AndyF16
    AndyF16 Posts: 506
    Anyone hear Reece Shearsmith (off League of Gentlemen) with Richard Bacon on 5live during the week? Said his grandad had half a snooker cue with a nail in it for dealing with dogs while cycling - bit extreme presuming he was being serious
    2011 Bianchi D2 Cavaria in celeste (of course!)
    2011 Enigma Echo 57cm in naked Ti
    2009 Orange G2 19" in, erm orange
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    AndyF16 wrote:
    Anyone hear Reece Shearsmith (off League of Gentlemen) with Richard Bacon on 5live during the week? Said his grandad had half a snooker cue with a nail in it for dealing with dogs while cycling - bit extreme presuming he was being serious

He goes out cycling with half a snooker cue? Give me a break.

Ok Ok don't push I'm going. :roll:
  • stardude
    stardude Posts: 255
    i had 2 chase after me today on my ride. one tried to actually bike my bare calf, but didnt come from the right angle, so just slid down my leg, it tried again, so i gave it a bit of a kick to the head, its weird what you do without thinking!

i had a bit of a go at the owner afterwards too.

i love dogs, just not when they are trying to puncture you!
  • robdaykin
    robdaykin Posts: 102
    about 7 years back, I was taken out by a dog. Well, according to the eye witnesses, I woke up in hospital 6 hours later.
    Apparently as I went down a hill, the dog came out of nowhere, hit me from behind, leaping up, front paws must have hit my shoulders. I guess I hit a road side post, which broke my collarbone looking at the bruises, and my face took about 20 stitches to reassemble. Normally on that section of road I would be around 25mph, and I'm guessing I was doing somewhere around that, but I can't remember even setting off.

Damage... bike totalled. And I mean totalled, forks round frame, frame twisted, front chainrings bent, wheels bent, and so on, insurance replaced it without question. The more worrying bit, was that the clothing I was wearing, and the rucksack had claw marks, in the rucksack torn right through ripstop nylon. Apparently the mutt was attacking me on the ground till chased off.

When I finally got back on the bike, I saw a feral alsation cross in that area, which shadowed me on the bike for a distance, until I stopped and got off, then it lost interest and disappeared, so I suspect it was a serial offender.

A couple of years later I was in California, mountain biking up in the Laguna Hills, and one of the rangers warned me to be careful, as they'd had a mountain lion kill a rider recently. The main reason they knew about it, was that his girlfriend had come up the trail a few minutes behind him and beat the lion half to death with her bike whilst it was engrossed. Mind you she also told me it was rattlesnake mating season, and they were feeling frisky, so the lions were the least of my worries, 20 miles from the nearest tarmac, surrounded by suddenly ominous looking undergrowth.