Kenda v Conti, Wtb Rim and Hayes Stroker with Swisstop

ohara227
ohara227 Posts: 225
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

Hopefully the heading wasnt too random, but it sums up a rather unproductive few hours.

Firstly:

WTB Laser Trail Rims had 26x2.10 Kenda Nevegal Tyres on them. I wanted to put 26x2.10 Conti Speedkings on them, that I took off my old bike 2 years ago. Eventually got them off and popped the contis over the rims, ensure a good fit, no jams or so and pumped up. Then deflated to ensure good fit and pumped up to about 40psi. Problem is they dont sit even around the rim, ie a bit of the 'g' is closer to the rim on one side and tyre than the other etc. Also there is a tougher looking but that seems to sit well around , but not on other bits. Any ideas or are some sizes not quite right, tyres buckle over time etc? When I push the bike I feel the bumps where its not even, despite trying to jiggle it a bit!

Secondly:

I thought as I had the wheels off, I would fit new pads I got in a sale - Swisstop Pads 24 for Hayes Stroker Trails. After destroying the end of my fingers putting the springs in, I took the old pads out, calipers in with a 10mm spanner and tried to get the new ones in. Not easy at all, I got the outer in and thought I had enough room and popped the inner in - to my 'delight' they where touching with no room for rotor. Eventually got them out with a bit of swearing and again pushed in the pistons as much as I could but still it does not seem to be enough. I was getting annoyed so will leave it tonight, but I will drain some fluid out - but looking at them it seems they are as pushed in as they go and removing fluid I dont think will do much...

If your still awake, any advice or so would be good if anyone has came across any of this before!

Cheers!
'The hills are alive with the sounds of panting'

Rides:

MTB - Giant 2008 Trance X2
Road - Giant 2010 Defy 2
Hybrid - Giant Escape 2011 City 2

Comments

• 1340jas
    1340jas Posts: 217
    With regards to your tyre problem I find the following trick works well to seat the bead of the tyre evenly. at least thats what I think you're having problems with.

Mix some washing up liquid and water.You don't need a lot. after you have put the tyre on over the tube rub some of your mix around the tyre in the area of the bead and edge of the rim. Inflate the tyre with a track pump if you have it. You should hear the bead pop into the rim. One popping sound for each side. If it doesn't pop by the time you have reached max inflation let out some air. Then work the tyre to a better fit and re-inflate.
    This possibly sounds a lot of work but it isn't really and is real easy with practice.

I clean around the pistons with warm water just to clean off the crap before EASING the pistons back home. I do this by putting the old pads back in then Gently pushing them back with a wide bladed screw driver. I twist the screw driver rather than using in a lever fashion. This should then give you the clearence for the new pads.
    I have never had to let out any fluid to refit pads. I have Hopes and not Hayes but the all work around the same theory.

hope this helps
    Jas
  • ohara227
    ohara227 Posts: 225
    Good tips thanks, ill give the tyre trick a go ASAP. Ordered new pads as I have bent the wee springs on the back of the swisstop ones trying to get them in and out. Shame as they appeared to be the cats pajamas...

Report to follow!
    'The hills are alive with the sounds of panting'

Rides:

MTB - Giant 2008 Trance X2
    Road - Giant 2010 Defy 2
    Hybrid - Giant Escape 2011 City 2