Peddle Up!
Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
edited April 2011 in Road beginners
... gusts of sidewind. Scary, what!? :shock:
Purveyor of "up" :)

Comments

• suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    When you forget about the gap in the hedge and suddely get blown further into the middle of the road....yup.
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    suzyb wrote:
    When you forget about the gap in the hedge and suddely get blown further into the middle of the road....yup.

Yup indeed. Just back from a ride and that's exactly what happened!
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,095
    The worst ones are on the long fast descents that are a dream when it's calm but feel lethal when it's a strong or gusty wind. I tend to play close attention to the forecast wind speeds from the Met Office (especially if they have the red gust warnings) and look at http://www.xcweather.co.uk/ to see what the wind speeds/directions are doing. If it's going to be really gusty I just don't bother with the fast exposed descents. I save them for when it'll be fun.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Peddle Up! wrote:

Even scarier when you are on a TT bike, with deep section wheels, on a busy dual carrigeway, in the TT position, jostling with artics!!!
  • Chris87
    Chris87 Posts: 224
    especially when your riding in between tram lines and the gust pushes you sideways and your front wheel into the tracks....

straight over the handlebars on a busy street in sheffield!

luckily there wasnt a tram behind.........
  • Even scarier when you are on a TT bike, with deep section wheels, on a busy dual carrigeway, in the TT position, jostling with artics!!![/quote]

Why do it? Jeeez, makes me shiver thinking about it. One tiny abberation & you v artic = jammy carriageway.

But then, I AM the biggest scaredy-cat on 2 wheels. Not called SLJ for nothing you know - slow uphill owing to being short & fat, slow downhill cause I'm a chicken! Well, not literally a chicken otherwise I wouldn't be able to hold the handlebars, would I, and come to think of it I probably wouldn't have bougt a bike in the first place ... but you get my drift ... I think ...
  • golfergmc
    golfergmc Posts: 426
    Four times on Friday, first time felt like the rear wheel was going completly. Very scary.
    Cervelo S5 Team 2012
    Scott Addict R2 2010
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp SL 2010
    Kona Tanuki Supreme
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Why do it? Jeeez, makes me shiver thinking about it. One tiny abberation & you v artic = jammy carriageway. ...

The same reason people jump out of planes, bungee jump, climb mountains etc etc.

Because you can, and its a challenge, sure, it has its risks, but its not really any more risky that riding down a tight country road.

Fastest courses are generally DC courses, and if you are into TT'ing, than going fast is the whole point!
  • c0ugars
    c0ugars Posts: 202
    danowat wrote:
    Peddle Up! wrote:

Even scarier when you are on a TT bike, with deep section wheels, on a busy dual carrigeway, in the TT position, jostling with artics!!!

+1

Happend to me a on training ride on my TT bike while taking a corner i think me heart skipped a beat.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    danowat wrote:
    Peddle Up! wrote:

Oh yes the A11 is not a nice place to be on a windy day. I don't even bother with a helmet for A11 races. If I go under an artic I don't think a plastic helmet is going to save me!
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    +1

Had a pretty scary return journey on Sunday.

A busy dual carriageway, windy and tipping down with rain.

Natural wind was less of a problem, the biggest issue were the articulated lorries passing at 60mph (and less grip). Having to counter steer every time one of those large steel objects hammered past.

Would have avoided the road if I could, but arranged to meet the wife at a specific and didn't really know the surrounding area that well.

I'm sure this happens to lots of people, and they learn from it.
    Simon
  • Chris87
    Chris87 Posts: 224
    worst case, when your riding in the middle of tram lines and the gust is strong enough to push you across into the rail itself, straight over the handle bars on a busy road :oops: