Buying inner tubes

digitaldave
digitaldave Posts: 114
edited April 2011 in Commuting general
I need to get some new inner tubes in a couple of different sizes. Is it worth buying in 'bulk' (e.g. a pack of 10)? If so, can anyone recommend a good place to get them? I need several different sizes - some 700c for my road bike, and two sizes for my MTB depending on which tyres I have on.

Thanks,

Dave.

Comments

• Vivica
    Vivica Posts: 68
    Evans Cycles have been doing a lot of good deals on Innertubes - i recently bought 2 Specialized branded tubes for a total of £3.98 delivered to my door!!
  • Pep
    Pep Posts: 501
    Instead of replacing a puncture tube with a brand new one you can replace it with a patched one.
    Much cheaper.
    To patch a tube takes about 5min evening work.
    No repaired tube has ever failed me during the last 37yr.
  • Marcus_C
    Marcus_C Posts: 183
    Is it worth buying in 'bulk' (e.g. a pack of 10)?

How many punctures are you planning on getting? I bought two packs of 10 in two different sizes about 3 years ago and have 15 of them left after about 9000 miles.
    - Genesis Equilibrium Athena
    - Cannondale CAADX Force/105/Rival
  • Moodyman
    Moodyman Posts: 158
    Me too.

I bought two spare tubes but have not needed to use them in over 6k miles of commuting.

Get yourself some Marathon Pluses and you'll forget how to change a tube. 10 tubes is far too many in my opinion.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Marcus_C wrote:

How many punctures are you planning on getting? I bought two packs of 10 in two different sizes about 3 years ago and have 15 of them left after about 9000 miles.

5 lost in 9000 miles sounds like quite a lot! I've not used any up in about 15000 miles. Do have a couple of old tubes where the failure is at the valve though so those are now puncture repair patch material.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Pep wrote:
    Instead of replacing a puncture tube with a brand new one you can replace it with a patched one.
    Much cheaper.
    To patch a tube takes about 5min evening work.
    No repaired tube has ever failed me during the last 37yr.

one failed me the other day... not the fault of the patch though, as a piece of glass managed to puncture the patch and the tube
  • Marcus_C
    Marcus_C Posts: 183
    Rolf F wrote:
    Marcus_C wrote:

5 lost in 9000 miles sounds like quite a lot! I've not used any up in about 15000 miles. Do have a couple of old tubes where the failure is at the valve though so those are now puncture repair patch material.

One had a puncture on a patch and I couldn't get it to re-seal, one blew away on a commute home over the winter, two were for the rs10's on the genesis, not sure about the other one. I don't get punctures that often, maybe 6/7 in that time.
    - Genesis Equilibrium Athena
    - Cannondale CAADX Force/105/Rival
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    All this talk about punctures is making me nervous.

I prefer to use a fresh tube, my puncture repair skills aren't up to much.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Condor Cycles was doing some deal on bulk Specialized tubes last week.... I repair my tubes, got loads of them kicking about...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • digitaldave
    digitaldave Posts: 114
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

I think I was being overly pessimistic - I managed to kill two tubes over the weekend, and got a pinch flat on a third. The first two actually exploded, even though I'd inflated to the correct pressure. I suspect that my tube replacement skills aren't up to scratch.

Interestingly enough, the dead tubes happened when changing my MTB tires from (I think) 2.1" or 2.3" Speed Kings for a pair of Marathon Plus. As I said though, I think the problem lays with me and how I put changed them.

I guess I'll just buy a couple of spares instead of a pack then ;-).
  • rolf_f
    Benno68 wrote:
    All this talk about punctures is making me nervous.

I prefer to use a fresh tube, my puncture repair skills aren't up to much.

It's really not hard to learn. If you can manage to put a plaster on a cut, it is ever so slightly more difficult than that. Or do you prefer to use a fresh skin..... :lol:
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    I've always just used pre-glued patches rather than the puncture kits.

Much simpler and I've never had a problem with one coming unstuck.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Tesco's do inner tubes, about as cheap as I've sen them anywhere.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • rolf_f
    nation wrote:

Not really much simpler - the only difference is a dab of glue and 60 seconds wait. Plus that the pre-glued patches aren't (apparently) a permanent fix and can knacker the tube whereas the normal patches should end up stronger than the tube. Pre glued are a bit of a false expense!
  • gilesjuk
    gilesjuk Posts: 340
    Go tubeless. If done right it is less problematic than tubes. You can still use a tube for when you get a hole that can't seal.
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    Rolf F wrote:
    nation wrote:

Not really much simpler - the only difference is a dab of glue and 60 seconds wait. Plus that the pre-glued patches aren't (apparently) a permanent fix and can knacker the tube whereas the normal patches should end up stronger than the tube. Pre glued are a bit of a false expense!

Meh. I've been running the same inner tubes for longer than I can remember on my MTB, and they both have at least a couple of patches on them. I don't get punctures very often.