On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
Now the hard work starts.

Comments

• crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Muc-Off is fine. My rule would be to stay away from anything that is harmful to plastics and paint such as automotive brake cleaner and some automotive wheel cleaners can be fairly caustic. Also acetone and abrasive type metal cleaners are a no no for any bike. Dishsoap, carwash solutions, etc., should all be OK.
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Get some of the Pledge wax based polish spray. Your carbon beast will love it.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Car shampoo's your best bet for washing, Gets the job done well, much cheaper than Muc-Off etc (and a little goes a long way), and no salt etc, unlike washing-up liquid.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I put a squirt of shampoo in the bucket. Seems to work pretty well (doesn't fix split ends on cables though unfortunately)
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • fenboy369
    fenboy369 Posts: 425
    WTF! Everybody knows you cant get a carbon bike wet, it will melt! You have to buy a new one if it gets mucky and anyway, why are you riding it if its not perfectly sunny and dry? Muppet..... :wink:
    '11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
    '11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
    '09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
    '07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I used distilled spring water, warmed to 25C, poured gently over the frame. Then I use a non-soap based organic cleaner made from an infusion of nettles, dock leaves and elderberry, gently wiping in a single downward motion using an organic hemp cloth which is disposed of after every wipe.

Once clean I protect the frame using beeswax made in my own apiary from free-range bees applied with a lint-free non-woven hydro-entangled chemical free material which again is disposed of after every wipe.

Is this too much?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I use Cillit Bang, vigourously rubbed into every nook and cranny with a power sander. It's how I clean my car too.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • bails87
    I obviously don't get my bike wet though, because that would melt the carbon.

Serious time: I use car shampoo. When the bike's dry I occasionally give it a bit of a polish with either car polish or ordinary household stuff out of a spray can. It makes the bike smell nice, plus it makes it shiny and helps the dirt to slip off.
    MTB/CX

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    bails87 wrote:

Serious time: I use car shampoo. When the bike's dry I occasionally give it a bit of a polish with either car polish or ordinary household stuff out of a spray can. It makes the bike smell nice, plus it makes it shiny and helps the dirt to slip off.

You smell your bike?

You're weird you are.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • A while back I bought a five-litre bottle of a mixture of car wax and shampoo, in the misguided thought that I might, occasionally, wash the car. It was about £6 from Aldi in one of their specials.

Naturally after a couple of years, the bottle is still almost full, but it does a fantastic job when I use it to lovingly clean and polish my fleet of bikes every week without fail.
  • bails87
    bails87 wrote:

You smell your bike?

You're weird you are.

Yes I smell my bike. But I prefer the smell of other people's. Especially the saddles.
    MTB/CX

• essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    I used distilled spring water, warmed to 25C, poured gently over the frame. Then I use a non-soap based organic cleaner made from an infusion of nettles, dock leaves and elderberry, gently wiping in a single downward motion using an organic hemp cloth which is disposed of after every wipe.

Once clean I protect the frame using beeswax made in my own apiary from free-range bees applied with a lint-free non-woven hydro-entangled chemical free material which again is disposed of after every wipe.

Is this too much?

I can't believe you don't do it in a sterile environment. Shame on you.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506

Is this too much?

I can't believe you don't do it in a sterile environment. Shame on you.

I don't think the elderberries agreed to be in the cleaning solution in the first place, either. You monster, KB
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    bails87 wrote:
    I use Cillit Bang, vigourously rubbed into every nook and cranny with a power sander. It's how I clean my car too.

You just reminded me of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2UY_3RNggU
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5