chain - mine or manufacturers break?

bluechair84
bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Spent some time giving the bike some new parts today (mmm sunny), took the chain off to replace the mech and came across all these breaks...
broken%20chain2.jpg

The chain is only a few months old, but of course I don't have the receipt. Now, before I email the shop, how likely is the condition of this down to me do you think? I've not seen this number of cracked links before.

Comments

• teulk
    teulk Posts: 557
    I have never seen a chain like that before, well not on any of my 3 bikes. I have to admit that (unless you really abuse your bike) if my chain was like that id put it down to being faulty. Even if the shop didn't take it back i would certainly contact the manufacturer and get their view on it, even if you email the picture to them - who know it could be a fault with the manufacturing process.
    Im sure thought there will be someone on here who has perhaps seen this before and could advise you better.
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
    Specialized Secteur Elite 2011
  • bluechair84
    My sentiments too. I've never seen a chain do this before over a dozen bike and dozens of chains... Even if the shop aren't interested maybe Sram will be.

Strange thing is, they are all on one side too - none on the reverse.
  • bluechair84
    Spoken to the shop, sounds like they've had a few do this before. They'll send it off to manufacturer if the mechanic agrees it's not user error.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I've had a boatload of SRAM chains do that. I won't be buying them again.
  • lesz42
    lesz42 Posts: 690
    not used many chains myself, but seem to prefer KMC?
    Giant Trance X0 (08) Reverb, Hope Hoops 5.1D, XT brakes, RQ BC, Works Components headset 1.5
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    seen many chains of all makes do that.

Yes KMC as well.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    +1 on KMC.

SRAM 990 Cross step (not standard) is a very good chain, but KMC are just as good, cheaper and last longer.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • njc69
    njc69 Posts: 5
    just had my second sram chain snap on me since xmas . will definately be avoiding them in the future .
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    KMC for me all the way too, only ever snapped Sram chains.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    Dammit, wish I'd not seen this thread.

I commuterised to work today.
    I'm now going to be paranoid about my SRAM chain all the way home...
    :lol:
  • Uchiga
    Uchiga Posts: 230
    +1 for the KMC chains though i've nought had problems with my Shimano XT chains either. Also on a side note, i've never seen a chain that dirty before on any of my bikes!
  • Anonymous
    Uchiga wrote:
    i've never seen a chain that dirty before on any of my bikes!
    I'm sorry, I thought this was the MTB section.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I am now thoroughly ashamed of my dirty dirty chain, and will discipline it tonight. Probably been having a thing with the cassette.

(whip) "Dirty dirty chain" (whip whip)
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Max Mosely eat your heart out!

Funny but I always thought the chain whip was for something else, you live and learn.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,171
    nicklouse wrote:
    seen many chains of all makes do that.

I've never seen that; what do you/we think causes that?

I can imagine running a bad chain line e.g. little ring on front with little ring on back could cause that?
  • Uchiga
    Uchiga Posts: 230
    Uchiga wrote:

It is but some of us obviously maintian out bikes...

After every race and any seriously long ride my chain comes straight off stuck in a pot of white spirit and left there to soak. Out comes my second chain and that's slapped on after the drive chain has been cleaned with a bit of GT85 and rag. Dirty chain is cleaned in white spirit dried and wiped with some GT85 and left in a nice clean sock ready for the next swap.

Simple. Clean chain every ride, no rust and the whole drive chain lasts longer.
  • Deputy Dawg
    Deputy Dawg Posts: 428
    Uchiga wrote:
    Uchiga wrote:

After every race and any seriously long ride my chain comes straight off stuck in a pot of white spirit and left there to soak. Out comes my second chain and that's slapped on after the drive chain has been cleaned with a bit of GT85 and rag. Dirty chain is cleaned in white spirit dried and wiped with some GT85 and left in a nice clean sock ready for the next swap.

Simple. Clean chain every ride, no rust and the whole drive chain lasts longer.
    Doesn't that make walking a little uncomfortable?

:D
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy
  • Anonymous
    Uchiga wrote:
    Some of us have lives to lead and better things to do than worry about chains.
    But, YOU clean your chain after every ride. Congratulations. If you believe that to be the "normal" case, then you're sadly misguided.
    Some of us can actually ride and keep our feet on the pedals too :roll:
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,171
    Uchiga wrote:

After every race and any seriously long ride my chain comes straight off stuck in a pot of white spirit and left there to soak.

I did that a couple of time in the past (ot after every long ride) but it is a bad idea, not just from own experinece but trawing the web.

The solvent, be it paraffin, petrol, white spirit remove the grease from inside the rollers and ti si quite hard to get fresh grease back into there; one techique is to boil the cain in grease so the grease disolves.

The result being the cain is gritty due to no grease but grit still left beind. I used spray on motorcycle lube that soldiies and does to some extent penetrate the links but still not great.

Nowadays I give the chain a wipe with cloth then spray the lube. wheher tis ethod is any better than yours or some other I do not now without haveing 2 bkes so the same rides in identical conditions.

If you are happy wth your way, then by no means see this as a citicism but carry on.
  • Anonymous
    You've quoted the wrong dude, dude. That makes it look like I religiously clean my bike, which, frankly is litigation. Any more talk like that, ruining my reputation, and I'll see you in court :lol:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    02GF74 wrote:
    I did that a couple of time in the past (ot after every long ride) but it is a bad idea, not just from own experinece but trawing the web.

So some say, my experience is totally different but that's cool.
    Uncompromising extremist