lubrication after wash

phillipjohnson
phillipjohnson Posts: 117
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
Hi,

When I read about when to lubricate various parts on bikes some parts are recomended to be lubed every week, like the chain, some monthly, some annually etc.

What about when you wash the bike though? Does this was away lube and should everything be lubed after a wash?

I degreased my chain and deraileurs so I'm guessing they will definitely need lubing, but what about other parts like the pivoting parts on the brakes etc?

Cheers.

Comments

• How often you lube various bits really depends on how much you ride and in what conditions. Wet and muddy rides require more lubeing and also different kinds of lube. That's why you can buy different types for summer and winter riding. Chains are a definite weekly job, after cleaning, which should also be weekly in my view, but then I like a nice clean bike. After degreasing I normally rinse with water as part of an overall clean, then dry with a rag, then spray WD40 everywhere to drive away residual moisture before applying lube to the chain. If I remember, I wipe the chain before the next ride to get rid of excess lube after it's soaked in.
    Le Club Velo des Moutons Noirs
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    How often you lube various bits really depends on how much you ride and in what conditions. Wet and muddy rides require more lubeing and also different kinds of lube. That's why you can buy different types for summer and winter riding. Chains are a definite weekly job, after cleaning, which should also be weekly in my view, but then I like a nice clean bike. After degreasing I normally rinse with water as part of an overall clean, then dry with a rag, then spray WD40 everywhere to drive away residual moisture before applying lube to the chain. If I remember, I wipe the chain before the next ride to get rid of excess lube after it's soaked in.

WD40 is NEVER used on any of my bikes.

Interesting first post. Welcome.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Thanks for the responses... whats the difference between WD-40 and aerosol based bike lubes that force out water? Is there any difference?
  • Thanks for the responses... whats the difference between WD-40 and aerosol based bike lubes that force out water? Is there any difference?

WD-40 is one of those things which is cycle-forum catnip. If you even make mention to it on some forums, even if you are using it just to disperse water, a large angry mob will be along in seconds. As far as I'm concerned, it's perfectly OK, as long as you don't expect it to lubricate anything that moves.
  • rossigp
    rossigp Posts: 9
    I was always for the understanding of lubing before and after ! Lubing before prevents water from "pushing into places" where rust can take place and lube after to replace what was lost from washing. Spray your finger with the lubricant then pour water over it and it reflects right off..same theory !
  • Apart from the chains weekly oiling, everything else only gets a bit of grease when it stops performing as it should.
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    How often you lube various bits really depends on how much you ride and in what conditions. Wet and muddy rides require more lubeing and also different kinds of lube. That's why you can buy different types for summer and winter riding. Chains are a definite weekly job, after cleaning, which should also be weekly in my view, but then I like a nice clean bike. After degreasing I normally rinse with water as part of an overall clean, then dry with a rag, then spray WD40 everywhere to drive away residual moisture before applying lube to the chain. If I remember, I wipe the chain before the next ride to get rid of excess lube after it's soaked in.

WD40 is NEVER used on any of my bikes.

Interesting first post. Welcome.

I wouldn't use it to lubricate a chain, but I often use it (or GT85) on on brakes and derailleurs to get rid of moisture and stop rust after a wet ride.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I only use =Teflon Dry Lube and the degreaser of the same make
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I use that though not the aerosol variety; I can get it to go where I want with the little bottle which is a lot cheaper. It does reduce gunk build up but it doesn't stay on long once conditions get wet so I carry a small bottle with me on the commute incase a wet morning leads to a squeaky trip home!

I may stick with it for winter commuting this year as well.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Rolf F wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I use that though not the aerosol variety; I can get it to go where I want with the little bottle which is a lot cheaper. It does reduce gunk build up but it doesn't stay on long once conditions get wet so I carry a small bottle with me on the commute incase a wet morning leads to a squeaky trip home!

I may stick with it for winter commuting this year as well.

Yeah £20+ when you buy the degreaser as well. I may buy the small bottle as back up.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game