I'm tempted to go back to....

joshtp
joshtp Posts: 3,966
edited April 2011 in MTB general
Tektro Auriga Comp brakes....

I had them on my old bike... an loved them, I have them on my spare bike, and love them... the 2009 versions on my mates bike are awesome... great feel and more power than I have ever felt from a similar brake...

If they were cnc'd beautifully and had a hope sticker on them and cost £250 an end (rather than £40 for a set on ebay) then I'm sure i'd lust after them... but looking crap and being tektro brand snobbery is getting the better of me... I've always been more into performance than looks and have never worried about brands before... but this one is hitting me hard....

so, if/when I get new brakes do I get

the awesome deal that is Formula k18's for £115 - killer value, look awesome, work amazing

OR

The Tektro's - look crap, feel a little cheap but ARE crazy cheap and work amazing.

what ya say?
I like bikes and stuff

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I have Tektro Comps on the Mongoose, and once bedded in are powerful, yet well modulated with my 13.5stone weight.

As with all things, go with what feels best.
  • joshtp
    yeah... just been out to have another little feel of the ones on my cousins bike which is currently living in my garage... they are absolutely amazing... great lever feel, very, very powerful, and very well modulated... they even look OK... I feel I will have to get them... £75 is just to much to feel like I've wasted...
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    They are dead good... I gave in to hype and bought a set of XTs and was really shocked by the small improvement, I was expecting night and day. I use Oros now and they're a fair bit better but there's nothing wrong with the Tektros- I kept them as spares luckily because I broke a barrel adjuster on the Oros on my rigid, and so for now it has a K18 front and an Auriga rear :lol:

There's a few downsides... Parts are quite hard to find and they're a wee bit delicate, easy to bend levers especially. But still, very good. I'm half thinking of building up a cheapo downhill-ish/uplifty bike and if I do it'll have the Aurigas on.

But given the choice I'd have Oros.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • joshtp
    i suppose it'll just come down to money...
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Where did you see a set of Oros for £115?
  • joshtp
    edited April 2011
    formula shop - 125 euro's - which acording to google is 115 UK
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Anonymous
    :shock:
  • joshtp
    I know!
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Anonymous
    Oh dear, I think I've just done a sex wee

http://store.formula-brake.com/items/br ... -the-one-2

If only I wasn't totally broke :cry:
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Remember there is about 15 quids worth of postage or something stupid on top of that
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    I would probably get the formulas. Ive found the tektro aurigas to be plenty powerful but very on-off - not a lot of lever feel at all compared to 595 deore or hope tech x2.
  • Johnny Napalm
    Johnny Napalm Posts: 1,458
    Maybe I've always had a duff set, but I have some Formula brakes, and was expecting a lot more from them than what I got. They seem to be just 'on & off'. The best brakes I've had so far, that perform consistently, are the Stroker Trails.

I've had/got Hayes, Avid 5's & 7's, Clarks and Formula brakes and the Hayes seem to be the ones that have been consistent...followed very closely by Avid brakes.

Just my experience.

That said, the Tektro do look pretty good for £40.00.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • Anonymous
    That's curious, Johnny, since Hayes brakes, by and large, are derided for being wooden and having little feel! Different strokes for different folks eh?
  • Johnny Napalm
    Johnny Napalm Posts: 1,458
    Hi, Yeehaa.

I know, I've heard people berate Hayes too, but I've found them to be pretty good...the same with Avid too.

I suppose it is down to the actual set you get and I suppose it is what you get used to. I have the Avid 7's, which are also very good too, but maybe I just expected too much from Formula.

That said, I am a bit crap when it comes to noticing subtleties, and I don't think that I currently have a set of brakes that don't need some loving attention from someone who knows what they're doing (i.e. not me).
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • I had a set of the Tektro's on my Mantra and found them spot on. Never had any problems with power or reliability. For the price they fetch second hand they're definitely worth considering.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Maybe I've always had a duff set, but I have some Formula brakes, and was expecting a lot more from them than what I got. They seem to be just 'on & off'.

The only regular complaint you hear about Oros is that they don't have much initial bite, kind of the complete opposite of on/off. So that's a bit odd.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Shaggy_Dog
    Shaggy_Dog Posts: 688
    I think they're really good brakes actually. I like the Promax hornets too
    I had to beat them to death with their own shoes...
    HiFi Pro Carbon '09

LTS DH '96

The Mighty Dyna-Sore - The 90's?