Riding in this weather

Typerchris
Typerchris Posts: 74
edited April 2011 in MTB general
Well organised to go do a trail at whinlatter today but it is absolutely tonking down with rain. I'm new back to mtb so quite excited

Is it worth going in this weather?

Comments

• tenfoot
    tenfoot Posts: 226
    Go for it.

What else you going to do today instead?

Do you have any waterproof clothing?
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    just take some spare clothes to come home in, i hate wearing wet socks

enjoy your day out i'm going shopping :evil:

though there is a good bike shop in town :wink:
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • rowlers
    rowlers Posts: 1,614
    rain is good, wind is a different story!!!
    Whinlatter is very exposed at the tops, the wind is wicked up there and can really hamper your progress.
    I live about 20 mile away, at the minute there is no rain but is blowing a fcuking gail!!!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Rain, what's that?

Bone dry for nearly a month here :P

However, the question of whether it's worth it should never really come up. Weather is no obstacle to having fun, even if you get soaked :D
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    Don't mind rain, its the combination of wind and rain that is unbearable. Just very windy here today though, so i'm off up the hills to be blown about. Twice as hard going, half the speed, but meh the suns out!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    got to agree with the others, rain is ok, wind is just horrible.

Having said that, I really struggle to find the motivation to start a ride in the rain, but if it rains whilst I'm out I'm not bothered.
    Wind though, AAARGH, just feels like you're making no progress at all.
  • Extreme weather makes it even more fun. Had the pleasure of making it to the top of one of the mountains with help of a very strong tail wind much faster then normal, and on top of the mountain was relaxing for a moment nearly getting blown around, and being pummeled with rain. Made the trails that much more fun, and once you do something hard like cycling into a headwind and finish the climb, it's a great feeling

Just bring waterproofs.
  • I hope you went, it was really sunny
  • Well I went and by the time I got there the weather was great trail was still wet and great fun. I only live about 30 mins away so even if it was crap because of the weather wouldnt of been much lost. Anyway place was awesome and loved it. Hope I didn't hold to many people up with my pace lol. Can't wait to go back now.
  • tenfoot
    tenfoot Posts: 226
    He who dares, Rodney.
  • TownyDC
    TownyDC Posts: 157
    Typerchris wrote:
    Well organised to go do a trail at whinlatter today but it is absolutely tonking down with rain. I'm new back to mtb so quite excited

Is it worth going in this weather?

Nope stay in, drink beer, eat bacon frazzles and wait for final score to come on the telly, a perfect Saturday.
    Hit the trail 1st thing Sunday or wait till in the week and do a night ride.......

Pretty irrelevant really as it's now Tuesday when i'm posting this.

:D
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Whinlatter is a bit naff if it's really wet, quite a few standing puddles on the North loop.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    pff. britian....if you wait for the good weather....you will never do anything.

i love the bad weather me (i am trying reverse psychology on it...nothing else has worked so far, so its worth a try!)

:D
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.