Tour de Gruyere, Switzerland

Has anyone on this forum ever taken part in the Tour de Gruyere? If so, do you have any comments, tips, etc?

Thanks

Comments

• paulgw
    paulgw Posts: 135
    I did it in 2008 and my mate did it last year. It's a "UCI Golden Bike" event so pretty well organised. Cancellara was the lead off man when I did it - his first time back on his bike after the Olympics apparently! I suspect that it wouldn't rank as a particularly difficult route although there are 3 big long climbs on the long route (the short one only has one - the Mittelberg). It's a circular route so no problem with transport back to the start. Bulle is pretty small but there are a few hotels there (we stayed next to the railway station) and you can get a direct train there from Lausanne so it's easy to get to.

Hope that helps.
  • Thanks, Paul - that's very helpful.
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    I've done it the in the last three years, and plan to do it again this year. Well organised event good course. The second descent, I can't remember the name, is a bit hairy in a couple of places, but there is plenty of padding added to the crash barriers. The final descent is 40km all downhill to about 2km from the end where there is a slight climb through Bulle. About 500m from the finish you cross a train line, a couple of years back I got stopped at the crossing as a local train chugged past.

I live fairly locally, so have done it as a day trip once and camped about 5km out of town a couple of times. Last year they offered cheap accommodation in the local communal bomb shelter.

The commemorative jersey is better than average quality, last years was a pretty good design too, in fact I was wearing it on this morning's ride.

Just got under 4 hours last year, so will have to work hard this year to beat that.

If you are in this neck of the woods, the tour du Leman is another one to consider, 180 very flat and fast kms around lake Geneva at the end of May.
  • Done it the last two years. Very well organised (hey, this is Switzerland) and beautiful scenery. It's not too tough but that means you can push yourself as it's not just a matter of surviving to the end. (Though the last 40km being downhill should be taken for granted - there's been a vicious headwind the last two years for that section).

There's some nice riding in the area too if you want to stay a day or two longer.

Will definitely be there with mates again this year (one owns a chalet on the course...) and looking forward to another free jersey