chain guide

morleyman200
morleyman200 Posts: 513
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
at the moment i run a hollowtech 1 bottom bracket, the octlink style.

I have a chain guide on aswell, (blackspire stinger), and an E thirteen bash guard,

I have a problem though, the bash guard is in constant contact with the pully on the chain guide, i was wondering do i have to buy a new hollowtech crank and bottom bracket to get it to work? (i am planning on buying one in the future)

Or is there a way of bolting the bash guard on but so it ends up further away from the bottom bracket, so the pully can run smoothly?

Tom

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    move the pulley? change bash? new BB?

pics of your set up?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    It's not too much of a problem is the pulley does contact the bashguard, really.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As the chain dictates the position of both bash and guide, changing the crankset or BB won't help.

The only think I can think of is spacing the bash out from the crank arms a bit, M12 washers will do that, but I'd only use one (for each bolt), so about 1.5mm, if that's enough its worth giving it a try.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    As the chain dictates the position of both bash and guide, changing the crankset or BB won't help.

Simon

I beg to differ.

but until I see the set up....
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • i thought about putting some washers inbetween the crank arms and the bash ring. The pictures dont show it, but when i put the chain guide on, it actually changes the position of the pedal arms, ie non drive side has moved closer to the frame and the drive side has moved further away from the frame, due to the lack of spacers there were between the frame and the bottom bracket.
    here are the photos

I thought getting the knew XT or SLX cranks would solve it, as you need two spacers, and the chain guide would replace one of them

file:///E:/DCIM/101MSDCF/DSC00371.JPG
    file:///E:/DCIM/101MSDCF/DSC00372.JPG[/img]
  • ok, that didn't work, how do you put photos up[/url]
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    you need to host your photos somewhere, like flickr, skydrive etc.
  • you cant really see from the photo, but the bash guard is pushing the chain guide plate away, it is slightly bent (not permanent)
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    The bashring looks too big. Is it a 40t bashring that you're running with a 32 ring?
  • nicklouse
    try fitting the guide first then the spacer.

also your bash is way too big for the ring and the device.

what size did the guide say it was for? what size is the bash for?

after a bit more thought and looking at the picture can you not just pop the roller out so that it sits on the edge of the bash?

if the bash is bigger that 40T they you will have problems.