What bike magazines do you buy....

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
Well, I have just read through a few back issues of Cycling plus that are sitting on top of the water cooler.

Anyway, they are quite old copies, but the format has not changed much and the content tends to repeat year in and year out, same kind of articles with a few added bits (results and new stuff). Are their only so many things that can be said about cycling in magazines?

Thoughts? Do you get a mag regularly?

**Awaits ban!

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Print media? How quaint.

Actually, I bought the Guardian iPhone app which offered a yearly sub for £4. That seemed quite nifty. Future should make something similar and I'd be far more likely to subscribe.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    whichever one has a useful looking freebie on the front that I couldn't get cheaper than the magazine.

I've got lots of buffs and only one doesn't have bike mag branding on it.
  • ThatBikeGuy
    ThatBikeGuy Posts: 394
    I tend to jump on this forum if i want to hear any cycling related news, saves me a few quid in buying a mag to look at bikes i could afford only in my wildest dreams :lol:
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    I subscribed to Cycle Active last month. It's not a bad read and it was 50% off, seemed worth it for 12 months.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    very occasionally cycling weekly, very occasionally singletrack

only if I'm on a train or the like (considering subscribing to singletrack and getting the digital version...)
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Apart from The Guardian Bike Blog and a rare foray into Cycling Weekly, nothing for me thanks. Other than the occasional development it's all been said.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I get the CTC mag and Arrivee as they are included in the subs to the CTC and AUK

I sometimes buy Procycling during the race season
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    MBUK which is pretty cheap. Bit p'd off that the bike related multi-tool got replaced with a Gerber but otherwise the freebies are quite useful - wore the socks yesterday, wear the beanie when its cold etc :D

I also get EVO magazine from my mum - its the simplest way to sort out my birthday present each year...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Procycling subscription.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    TBH this site covers my requirements rather nicely, bought a magazine perhaps four or five times - but nothing regular.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Robstar24
    Robstar24 Posts: 173
    i usually buy cycle sport. i find it better than pro-cycling, it covers all the big races, has good interviews and tech features, and they have a good new section called 'classic races'.

i guess cycle sport is for those who are fans of the pro sport as well as doing some riding.
  • I have a sub for one of e'm, cycling plus I think and I buy the occasional Road Bike Action Mag for an alternative view, but generally I'm begining to find that they repeat articles a little too often, probably about time to reconsider the subs.
    I ache, therefore I am.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Robstar24 wrote:
    i usually buy cycle sport. i find it better than pro-cycling, it covers all the big races, has good interviews and tech features, and they have a good new section called 'classic races'.

i guess cycle sport is for those who are fans of the pro sport as well as doing some riding.

Speak for yourself.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I get all my cycling news from BikeSnobNYC
  • walkingbootweather
    walkingbootweather Posts: 2,443
    edited April 2011
    FHM

Plenty of old bikes in that....
    .... allegedly
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The only one I subscribe to is MBR as its the only MTB mag I can get on Tesco points, I'd prefer MBUK which I buy about 4 times a year.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • garryc
    garryc Posts: 203
    I used to have a sub to Cycling plus which was great when I started cycling again. But after a year or so it just started repeating itself so I don't bother anymore. Sometimes I buy Cycling Weekly but not very often.
  • nax-ian
    nax-ian Posts: 209
    You have Bikeradar as well as numerous other sites.
    Is there really any need for the printed stuff?
    Mags, newspapers have all lost there subscriptions in this house!
    Finished
  • richred_uk
    richred_uk Posts: 167
    Cycle Active pretty much every month - for a relatively new semi-serious cyclist it ticks lots of boxes.

C+ when it has a good freebie or an article that piques my interest or I have a long journey. Pretty good, but rather samey month on month and I don't buy lots of components, so lots of the reviews are of passing interest.

Occasionally Procycling which is pretty good.

Try to pick up Rouleur off Ebay whenever a new one comes out, some great writing and interesting articles if a bit up itsef.
  • gareth1234
    gareth1234 Posts: 107
    garryc wrote:
    I used to have a sub to Cycling plus which was great when I started cycling again. But after a year or so it just started repeating itself so I don't bother anymore. Sometimes I buy Cycling Weekly but not very often.

The reason I subscribed to cycling plus, only got myself a road bike in January and wanted to catch up and keep my initial enthusiasm alive. it's ticking all the boxes so far, but 12 months of it will have covered all I need to learn, buy and occasionally drool over.
  • I subscribed to Cycle Active last month. It's not a bad read and it was 50% off, seemed worth it for 12 months.

ditto, not bad, delivered for £2/copy
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • I got a Cycling Active sub in about June last year... full price at about £50 for the year but got an Altura Nevis jacket as the freebie. I was looking to buy a decent waterproof jacket for my commute anyway so it was really like a free magazine sub.

Been really pleased with the jacket which is still going strong and the magazine has been really good. I can't see me carrying it on past the year because it's for newbies really so has been a good introduction to cycling for me but I can see it covering the same things year after year... leg and arm warmers in the winter... fingerless mitts for the summer etc.

I also get the CTC magazine with my membership.
  • 220 Triathlon. It's all you need.
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    I'm in April's Cycling Active, tho I'm not sure im allowed to say that round here :-)
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • gb155 wrote:
    I'm in April's Cycling Active, tho I'm not sure im allowed to say that round here :-)

I read the article - I'm impressed, all kudos to you! Makes my sad attempts to lose another 7kg pathetic to say the least...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    rarely, though as my interest is both MTB and road. tends to be if the mag has something I'd like to read.

kit tests tend to be so so, though I like tyre tests as I like tyres being a easy way to change a bike. partially MTB's
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    I get Cycling Weekly every now and then, not too many adverts and some decent articles IMO.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    gb155 wrote:
    A mate had the mag lying around and I saw the article. Couldn't read it guessed it was you. Everyone that I mention it to is still amazed by your storey. What's next? Motivational speeches ;)
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Cycling Weekly - when the Tour is on. Or when they do a special on sportives or they have a review of a bike/bike part I would like to read.

Cycling Plus - in general. Wish someone would get me the subscription for a present :x

Evans Cycles free magazine - to look at the pictures but never buy the items as I know I can get them cheaper elsewhere online....
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • peterst6906
    peterst6906 Posts: 530
    Cycling Plus subscription.

Peleton subscription (love the quality of the magazine and the photography)

Pro Cycling (purchase ad hoc)