Is it ok..

redrobbo
redrobbo Posts: 727
..to use a tourer on a Sportive?

I'm doing my first Sportive this year. It's a hilly one and only my tourer has the sort of gears that will get me up the steep bits (I am a bit on the heavy side :oops: )

Will people laugh?

Even if I remove the mudguards?..

..and the saddle bag?

Losing weight is not an option :cry:

Comments

• danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Of course it is, you see all sorts of bikes in sportives.
  • redrobbo
    Excellent! I don't care if I am out of the medals, I'd just like to finish before the organisers do.
  • Do it. The more he perceived 'unsuitable' bike, the greater the admiration of the fellow sportive riders.. Certainly nobody will laugh.
    Live to ski
    Ski to live
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    i saw someone do rourkes cat and fiddle ride on a BMX . not sure if he did the hole ride or not.
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    Nobody will notice, especially on a hilly sportive. Actually, quite a few might think you're an old hand at this and follow you...really!

PS, leave the mudguards on, it'll pi$$ a few expensive bike riders off when you pass them :lol:
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • Mike67
    Mike67 Posts: 585
    Yeah..there's nothing like being passed by a guy on a bike with mudguards, pannier racks and no doubt a cast iron frame when you're going flat out and struggling up a hill on your nice shiny lightweight speed machine.

Not that it's eeeeeverrrr happened to me of course :lol:
    Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
    Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
    Lots of bits
  • brin
    brin Posts: 1,122
    Sportives are meant to be fun/leisure rides, done quite a few and seen all sort of bikes, one lad done the Northern Rock one year on a penny farthing,don't know how far he rode it but he certainly turned a few heads,bit like doing a marathon in fancy dress. Do it and enjoy the occasion.
  • Han2130
    Han2130 Posts: 30
    I did the Hampshire Hilly last year on my Thorn Raven Tour ( with mudgards, racks and panniers ) Had a really nice day. Go for it!
  • redrobbo
    Even better! The 'guards and saddle bag are reprieved ..

Glad danowat has been fully backed on this. I did some audaxes a few years ago and my tourer was beginning to be outnumbered by competition bikes. Of course I didn't for one moment think he might be taking advantage of the date :!: .

I am really looking forward to it now.
  • prb007
    prb007 Posts: 703
    I've seen touring tandems, unicycles (really) and proper 'rat-bikes' over the last couple
    of Dragon rides - take the tourer, enjoy.
    If Wales was flattened out, it'd be bigger than England!
    Planet X Ti Sportive for Sportives & tours
    Orange Alpine 160 for Afan,Alps & dodging trees
    Singlespeed Planet X Kaffenback for dodging potholes
    An On-One Inbred for hard-tail shenanigans...