Squeaky discs?

Phillw454
Phillw454 Posts: 101
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Went for a ride at 3 am this morning in the howling wind and rain, just light XC, found my rear disc was squeaking a lot under breaking. Last time I was out I hit a fast DH with a lot of rear breaking but never made a noise. The disc was very hot at the end of the ride. Maybe warped?

Is it because the grease was burnt off on my last ride? Is there a way to stop the noise?

Using Sram Avid 5 brakes

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    read the topics in the FAQs about squeaky discs,

and there should never be any grease any where near your discs to get burnt off.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Phillw454
    I define grease as mud/water/mess etc any bad things that should not be on there. I'll check the FAQ sorry must of missed it.
  • Phillw454
    Ok read them and it seems it could very well be over spray from chain lube. Can I just clean the disc with meths? Or do I need a specific cleaner and new pads? Was it anything to do with it being hard rain?
  • gtd.
    gtd. Posts: 626
    meths probabby isnt a good idea a lot of meths contain oils you can check by allowing a drop to evaporates off a mirror if it leaves no residue its ok to use.

I use lab grade IPA (isopropyl alcohol) I used to use Servisol ipa aerosols but it is expensive locally I now just order a litre off ebay lasts for a long time, ordered a bottle over a year ago and only used a small amount. Its also good for servicing forks and rear shocks.
    Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
    Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
    Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    And cleaning the kitchen :P
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Organic or sintered pads? If you use Organic you may have glazed them, a rub with emery sometimes sorts it out.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • gtd.
    gtd. Posts: 626
    Or Scotchbrite (works on SuperStar Red Kevlar pads anyway)
    Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
    Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
    Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er
  • Phillw454
    I have no idea if they are Organic or not sorry, how can I tell?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    It was raining this morning no? Wet brakes can scream like a banshee sometimes.
    Don't fettle your brakes unless something really actually needs to be done. Most issues actually resolve themselves.