Hybrid recommendations

naepace
naepace Posts: 3
edited April 2011 in Commuting general
Hi, following the slow demise of my Giant Rock MTB I am in the market for a hybrid for my 3 mile e/w commute. I have a budget up to around £350 but have been left feeling slightly overawed by the huge array of bikes/manufacturers on offer, therefore I would really appreciate some suggestions.

Also, my commute in is all on the road/cycle path and steeply downhill (killer going home !!) but intersected with numerous junctions requiring many stops which have been killing my brake blocks, a mid range set only lasts about 3 or 4 months. Would disc brakes be a better option ? I haven't seen them on any bikes in my price range.

Many thanks in advance.
np

Comments

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    For three miles any bike would do... Pick a model that your LBS stocks. My advice would be to spend around 250-300 quid on the bike, upgrade the brake blocks to something like KoolStop salmons, possibly some tyres, and maybe get some mudguards.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • naepace
    naepace Posts: 3
    Thanks, I'll look into the break blocks. They have cost me almost as much as the bike did :shock:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You can get a Carrera Gryphon Disc within your price range....

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.