Birthday present for a guitarist

jairaj
jairaj Posts: 3,009
edited May 2011 in The hub
I know there are a few musicians on here hoping you can help.

I need to get a birthday present for my mate, he is a guitarist. He mostly plays electric guitar but does have a acoustic one too. He is into his effects pedals and even makes his own pedals. Is there something I can get him related to that? Budget is around £20 - 30?

Comments

• Fenred
    Fenred Posts: 428
    Oooh thats a very broad-brush question! TBH you are far better off asking him what he wants/needs...You'll be wasting your cash buying him something random. However us guitarists always seem to be running out of polish/fast fret/losing picks/misplaced string winder/tuner blah blah :lol:

Have a look at this link to get some inspiration...

http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Buy him a ukulele
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    A year or so ago I bought my nephew a 'Guitarist's Stocking' from one of those guitar shops in and around Denmark Street in London. It was full up with all the stuff that guitarists use and get through; it had a fairly decent quality jack-to-jack lead, assorted plectrums, a machine-head key, spare strings, a little tuner, some soft dusters etc - like a bicycle repair kit, only for guitarists, and it was only about £30 quid.

Or you could always buy a Guitar Song Book - we all love to learn how to play 'Layla' at some time in our lives!!

Raymondo x
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Cool thanks for the ideas guys, you've got the ball rolling on this. I was sitting around scratching my head on this.

Fenred - that web site is very handy, Im just flicking my way through it, got a few ideas already ...
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    If he has an iPhone, you might want to consider an Amplitude iRig. (I know I'd like one.)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Orange crush amp for around £27
    http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/1 ... crush.html

And/Or a Pick of Destiny (from the Tenacious D fillm). It's made from Satan's horn, no, really! For about a fiver

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/3 ... terling_uk
  • u05harrisb
    u05harrisb Posts: 531
    voucher to a music shop so they can pick somthing out themselfs probs would be the best way, if not then a capo, songbooks, ukes are good too (good fun), stylophone mabye? avoid pics, stringsand things like fast fret inless you know they used them. and in the case of stings/pics find out what there using then get them, lots have specific brands and gauges that they prefure :D
  • Cferg
    Cferg Posts: 347
    This.

If they have an iPod/iPad/iPhone they will love it. I guarantee it, really is a great gadget.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Sod the iphone thing, get the Orange amp.
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    a music stand..

As strings and pics, if like me, only use one brand and type.

I have loads of song books so would probably double up or be given something that has not much interest..

I wouldn't like a small amp, as they just sound crap.. I'd rather play my acoustic if I'm unable to use my valve amp bcus it's too loud.

But a musc stand... They are about £20 - £30 and are really useful if your sight reading or learning to play a tune..
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    Angry Bird wrote:
    Buy him a ukulele

This very thought came into my mind before even reading the Posts..

Great choice
  • Gizmokev
    Gizmokev Posts: 146
    Uke gets my vote as well.....
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    +1 for the micro crush, good little amps.

Although, I once got bought a smokey amp.. it's all good for shizz and giggles, and can live in his gig bag/case should he ever feel the need for an impromptu performance! Not the greatest sounding amp obviously, as it's an old fag pack, but good for a laugh. :wink:

Edit: Also was given a Uke. Sadly, it's just used for decoration these days, cba with it, the guitars get more use.