XTR Shadow Rear Mech Problem

hardcorerider
hardcorerider Posts: 49
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys, i'm hoping someone can shed some light on a problem i've started having with my M972 Shadow rear mech. Just recently it seems to have stiffened up and lost its spring (not literally lost the spring, just the springy movement). For example, if I take the chain off so the mech is free of the chain and try and move the jockey wheel cage forwards and backwards, it just moves about without springing back. Likewise, if I pull down on the bottom jockey wheel to stretch the whole mech out then instead of springing back to the previous position it kinda stays where it is. Do you know what might be causing this problem?

Cheers
Si.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    how is it with the cable disconnected?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I havn't tried freeing the cable yet. Do you think that could be causing the problem?
  • nicklouse
    well if it is not the problem your mech is dead.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • what could cause it to just die like that and is it fixable do you think?
  • nicklouse
    so how is it with out the cable attached?
  • I will investigate further when I get home from work and let you know. Get your thinking cap on.
  • Well i've given the mech a good clean and lube, cleaned the cassette and chain and unclamped the cable and given it a clean and lube. The mech now seems to work fine, it springs back nice and quick and doesn't seem so stiff. I'm quite surprised it started working properley again after just a thorough clean and re-lube. I didn't realise cleaning the cables could make such a difference. I must admit I do keep my bike clean but often neglect to clean the cables as well. I thought it was a mechanical problem. Glad I don't need a new rear mech though.