giant_man
giant_man Posts: 6,878
edited September 2011 in Campaign
This is precisely why po's should be better trained imo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKQPGP5IiSc

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Both the guys in that clip make me cringe.

The police officer who doesn't know that he just has to tell the guy he's reported for summons, get his details and carry on (or arrest him if he's refused). Why he even gets embroiled in a discussion is beyond me. It's frankly embarrassing.

The smug tw@t filming who ran a red light. Note how he doesn't deny that he ran it.

When giving out a ticket, I just keep it simple. Tell the person what I saw them do. Tell them they are being reported. Issue ticket/report for summons. No need for arguments etc.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    If the PO was better trained he would know more about the law concerning cyclists, the cyclist ran rings round him, which is just wrong.

If the Met spent more money on training these idiots, these 'crusaders of the road' then we wouldn't see such scenes of police officers making a grab for helmet cams, out of sheer embarassment of not knowing as much about the law as the cyclist. Pathetic!

Whether the cyclist actually did jump a red light or not wasn't decided, so the rider got away with it.
  • Xommul
    Xommul Posts: 251
    I agree that training could be better, however there is so much legislation and operating procedures which change constantly you can not keep up with it.

However if you are out in cop cars, you will go to accidents and have to deal with traffic offences you should know what u r doing. Trouble is most stuff we deal with is domestic incidents and yobs causing anti social behaviour,
    MTB Trek 4300 Disc 1999
    Road Rose Carbon Pro RS Custom
    Canyon Spectral AL 7.9 29er
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Xommul wrote:
    I agree that training could be better, however there is so much legislation and operating procedures which change constantly you can not keep up with it.

However if you are out in cop cars, you will go to accidents and have to deal with traffic offences you should know what u r doing. Trouble is most stuff we deal with is domestic incidents and yobs causing anti social behaviour,

If you cannot keep up with what you have to know to do your job dilligently and efficiently then find another job. Too many people who have joined the plods have done so because they do not possess the brain power to get a good job elsewhere. Obviously there are dilligent hard working honest cops but few and far between ime. If this one's performance is indicative of the general training or standard of plods on the beat or the road then no wonder villains and scrotes continue to avoid penalty or punishment. Then there's all the other high profile cock ups we know about. NapD excluded of course :wink: .
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Carlm90
    Carlm90 Posts: 92
    dilemna wrote:
    Xommul wrote:

If you cannot keep up with what you have to know to do your job dilligently and efficiently then find another job. Too many people who have joined the plods have done so because they do not possess the brain power to get a good job elsewhere. Obviously there are dilligent hard working honest cops but few and far between ime. If this one's performance is indicative of the general training or standard of plods on the beat or the road then no wonder villains and scrotes continue to avoid penalty or punishment. Then there's all the other high profile fool ups we know about. NapD excluded of course :wink: .

I'm sorry, you couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

Too many people who have joined the plods have done so because they do not possess the brain power to get a good job elsewhere.

I don't think you've lived life much or actually bothered to understand what a police officer does and what the vast majority of them do to come up with that ridiculous statement. You've just watched one too many YouTube videos haven't you?
    I'm cycling 300 miles to Amsterdam on 15th -18th September to raise £1,200 for SCOPE. If you would like to sponsor me, please visit my blog http://www.carl2amsterdam.com
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Carlm90 wrote:
    dilemna wrote:
    Xommul wrote:

If you cannot keep up with what you have to know to do your job dilligently and efficiently then find another job. Too many people who have joined the plods have done so because they do not possess the brain power to get a good job elsewhere. Obviously there are dilligent hard working honest cops but few and far between ime. If this one's performance is indicative of the general training or standard of plods on the beat or the road then no wonder villains and scrotes continue to avoid penalty or punishment. Then there's all the other high profile fool ups we know about. NapD excluded of course :wink: .

Too many people who have joined the plods have done so because they do not possess the brain power to get a good job elsewhere.

I don't think you've lived life much or actually bothered to understand what a police officer does and what the vast majority of them do to come up with that ridiculous statement. You've just watched one too many YouTube videos haven't you?

Would this statement indicate that you are prejudiced like many of your fellow police officers? You know nothing of me and yet start telling me I haven't lived life and neither can I understand. I understand too well matey. Are you from the Andy Hayman school of police training?
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Carlm90
    Carlm90 Posts: 92
    dilemna wrote:
    Carlm90 wrote:
    dilemna wrote:
    Xommul wrote:

Would this statement indicate that you are prejudiced like many of your fellow police officers? You know nothing of me and yet start telling me I haven't lived life and neither can I understand. I understand too well matey. Are you from the Andy Hayman school of police training?

No, I don't know you. I made my judgement from your post and it was my personal opinion that the post I was referring to originally was very narrow minded from yourself. You seem very opinionated about this giving the multiple statements you make, I'd like to know how you make such assumptions.
    I'm cycling 300 miles to Amsterdam on 15th -18th September to raise £1,200 for SCOPE. If you would like to sponsor me, please visit my blog http://www.carl2amsterdam.com
  • Come on dilemna, I can't hold my breath any longer.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    dilemna wrote:
    If you cannot keep up with what you have to know to do your job dilligently and efficiently then find another job.

While i might not be a police officer, I do work in Financial Services which also has a million and one rules n regulations too. I'm afraid I dont know every single one of those so any suggestions as to what I can do for a new career Dilemna - seeing as you seem to know it all??
  • It's idiots like that smart arse that give the rest of us a bad name.

I feel sorry for the PO, unfortunately they can't know the in's and out's of every law, i am sure even a standard PC would have problems with it.