Direction Indicator Lights - waste of time/money?

XmasTreeOnWheels
XmasTreeOnWheels Posts: 5
edited March 2011 in Commuting general
I am a self-confessed real sucker for gadgets. Whilst I firmly believe there is no substitute for proper observation and arm signalling before changing direction, I was considering whether to augment this with direction indicator lights (particularly for when it's dark) and wondered if anyone else used them? I was particularly interested in this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004Q5QD2E/ref=s9_simh_co_p200_d21_i5?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=left-4&pf_rd_r=1VDP27DDB4K4JB0RYXY1&pf_rd_t=3201&pf_rd_p=466496433&pf_rd_i=typ01

Or is it just an unnecessary waste of time and money?

Comments

• kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Yes
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I imagine they're too close together to be a clear indicator of direction.

Just use gloves with reflective detailing on them to make sure you're seen.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    drivers aren't used to seeing indicator lights on a bike, it will confuse them and probably be ignored.
  • Saw a guy with something like this CBYG000100_2.jpg on his bike the other night.

He wasn't indicating with it despite opportunities to.

So maybe once the novelty wears off you go back to old ways..
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Added weight, minimal (at best) gain, I'm a no.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cyclingpast
    cyclingpast Posts: 111
    Sports direct, flashing karrimor wristbands, £3 each. Cheap and effective.
    Giant Defy 3
    FCN 5

All wrenching and no riding makes me frickin' angry...
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    edited April 2011
    Absolute tosh, lights too close together & switches cluttering up your bars. If I were driving behind that, I'd be more likely to think it was a distant car rather than a close up bike = more dangerous to you
  • Leave it
    "Consider the grebe..."