Mountain bike frame mask/hack/crap-it-up-a-bit

thisischris
thisischris Posts: 43
edited April 2011 in MTB general
Hi all,
I ride a KHS bike that stands out like a sore thumb (bright colour) and considering I live in an area where bike theft is notorious (plenty of personal experience) I was thinking of doing somemthing to the frame to make it less attractive.

Its going to hurt as the bike is damn gorgeous but I figure that its the riding that counts and I am unlikely to ever sell the bike so it doesnt really matter. I already check im not being followed on the way home and all that jazz but its annoying worrying so much.

So any suggestions on how to do this? I dont want to do anything that will make riding a pain, like spraying it with plant that will just flake off, but something to make it look crap enough to stop me becoming a target..... again....

cheers

Comments

• stardude
    stardude Posts: 255
    why not just get some decent bike locks? a couple of the super d-locks and they wouldnt have a chance

maybe a motorbike lock?
  • Just buy a huge motorcycle lock dude, what's the point in making someting ugly?

A huge motorcycle lock and other things work well, and keep it locked inside the house as well.

Should stop the thieves.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Paint it with black poster paint. Should wash off but look really gross.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Agree with the get better bike locks. But sometimes if the bike doesn't look worthy then the thieves won't even bother looking at at totally ignore it. Which is better than them having a go and failing, as they may do damage to the bike in the process.

The self painted look usually seems to work. Remove decals and lightly sand down the current paint and then go over with just one colour eg black. The not very professional look will put them off. The paint should still stay on OK just won't look very posh.
  • Locks are ok but when theyve wrecked the garage door or destoryed the shed you still end up hacked off. If it looks crap, hopefully no one bothers.

Was thinking of connecting my bike to the mains everytime I chain it up but decided that I would probabaly end up going to jail for killing some poxy theif / or myself!
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Better would be to wrap it in electrical tape or old innertubes (your lbs might help you out as they struggle to deal with knackered ones) it's not permanent but still looks scruffy. If using inner tubes wrap it with tape first as the tubes can bond to the frame and then look awful when you remove it.

Plus insure your bike and get the cheapest lock to validate the insurance.
  • Locks are ok but when theyve wrecked the garage door or destoryed the shed you still end up hacked off. If it looks crap, hopefully no one bothers.

Was thinking of connecting my bike to the mains everytime I chain it up but decided that I would probabaly end up going to jail for killing some poxy theif / or myself!

Or you just keep them inside the house instead of destroying a bike.
  • The only problems with keeping it inside:
    1. The missus
    2. Hasnt stopped alot of theifs in the area

Found a company that can powder coat frames for £70. A plan black coat might do the trick.
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    wrap a bin bag around it-not permanent and willl do the job. Will stop you getting stone chips etc too!
  • jonnyc2420
    jonnyc2420 Posts: 557
    if you make it look crap - its just gonna look like a good bike made to look crap - much like most of the nicked bikes round our way - you then run the risk of being stopped by the plod and having to prove that your bike is actually your bike - i would go for the locks. :)
    Falcon Sierra - 80's
    Muddy Fox Courier - 80's
    GT Palomar 90's
    GT Zaskar LE - 90's
    Cannondale k v 900 90's
    Santa Cruz Bullit - now
    Orange Evo 8 STOLEN 26/09/10
    Orange P7 Pro
    Lots of kites.
  • The only problems with keeping it inside:
    1. The missus
    2. Hasnt stopped alot of theifs in the area

Found a company that can powder coat frames for £70. A plan black coat might do the trick.

You can convince the mrs somehow!

As far as stopping thieves, nothing will stop them. If they want it,it's theirs basically. If they know the slightest about bikes, powdercoting the frame or destroying how it looks won't make one bit of difference, they will stil notice the nice part and want it still.

What bike have you got anyways? Surely if you explain to the Mrs it is worth a fair chunk, and could get nicked being outside, i'm sure she would much prefer to have it sitting somewhere in the house than gettig destroyed or robbed.
  • What about putting the Mrs in the shed?
  • mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    What about putting the Mrs in the shed?

wrapped in a bin bag with her hea........no wait this isnt crudcatcher :twisted:

big locks and industrial strength chain links, anchor the chain to something immoveable and double lock bike with mbike locks, if you are handy at bike maintenance you could also strip off what you can get on and off quickly and secure in house

gl matey defiling beauty should be last option
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    You're a bit of an idiot. An ambitious one though.
    Plenty of hideous BSOs are stolen as well, making yours look crap won't prevent it being nicked.
  • milfredo
    milfredo Posts: 322
    I keep both my bikes in the house on a vertical rack in the hallway. They are not in the way and are not an eye sore. The expensive one is mentioned and added as a valuable item on my home insurance policy and neither bike is EVER locked up anywhere.
  • CharlieH
    CharlieH Posts: 410
    Get it sprayed PINK! That would certainly put me off, lol
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Surely if you explain to the Mrs it is worth a fair chunk, and could get nicked being outside, i'm sure she would much prefer to have it sitting somewhere in the house than gettig destroyed or robbed.

Yup, I agree with this!!

I like our house looking nice (ie not covering in bike / car bits), but I would much rather Chris kept something expensive inside rather than risk getting it nicked. You would have to be pretty hard-nosed to disagree I think!

Having said that, I did get annoyed when I found about 6 rally car wheels in the middle of the kitchen but that's another story.... :?
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    miss notax wrote:
    Surely if you explain to the Mrs it is worth a fair chunk, and could get nicked being outside, i'm sure she would much prefer to have it sitting somewhere in the house than gettig destroyed or robbed.

Yup, I agree with this!!

I like our house looking nice (ie not covering in bike / car bits), but I would much rather Chris kept something expensive inside rather than risk getting it nicked. You would have to be pretty hard-nosed to disagree I think!

Having said that, I did get annoyed when I found about 6 rally car wheels in the middle of the kitchen but that's another story.... :?

strange that. My Sister said the same thing about my spare slicks in the kitchen.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    Insure it. Buy a lock that your insurers reccomends. Claim if/when it gets nicked.
    It's a sad state of affairs, but if a thief wants your bike they'll take it; regardless of how or where it's secured.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    nicklouse wrote:
    miss notax wrote:

Yup, I agree with this!!

strange that. My Sister said the same thing about my spare slicks in the kitchen.

:lol::lol::lol:

MTBing stuff I can accept (because some of it's mine too!) - rally car stuff I find harder to ignore!

When I was a baby my dad apparently kept his pride and joy - his motorbike and sidecar - in the lounge :shock: That makes my Mum one hell of a tolerant woman!!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    One of my mates has a classic motorcycle in his very narrow kitchen.
    He started doing it up, by cleaning out engine parts in the kitcken sink, then without thinking much started assembling it back together again on the worktop.
    After a while he'd got to the point that he realised he'd have to break it down again to get it out of the kitchen, so he decided to just carry on regardless.
  • starkee
    starkee Posts: 143
    Pop the wheels off and chain them in the shed... put the bike in a dustbin sack and pop it behind the sofa :D
  • feckless
    feckless Posts: 56
    Wrap the frame in clingfilm then paint hammerite over that. It'll look shit, but be easy to return to normal.

Then remember to use a couple of fuck off padlocks whenever you leave it anywhere.

f
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    You're a bit of an idiot. An ambitious one though.
    Plenty of hideous BSOs are stolen as well, making yours look crap won't prevent it being nicked.

Bit harsh - but fair enough. Why on earth would you destroy your pride and joy?

The only time I can't see my bike, the think is under lock and key.