Are Clarks Chains and Cables any good?

miurasv
miurasv Posts: 345
edited March 2011 in Road buying advice
I've just had a Clarks chain fitted to my bike and all the cables replaced too with Clarks as they came highly recommended by the person who serviced my bike. I've never heard of them. They cost about the same as Shimano Ultegra and I wondered if any of you people have any experience with them or know of their reputation? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    The company is better known for braking products (pads, disks etc) and have only recently started making chains. I'd be interested to know how it performs as they seem to be very well priced. Is it one of the self-lubricating chains?
  • owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    It looks as though it is self lubricating! See this CTC link and it is not 1 April until tomorrow

http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=48900
  • andyrm
    andyrm Posts: 550
    Clarks make brilliant cables and from what I have heard from someone who is long term testing the new PTFE coated self lube chains, they are very good. And at the price they are, I reckon it's got to be worth taking a look.... :D
  • FunBus
    FunBus Posts: 394
    Clarks cables for the same price as Ultegra??!! That must be a typo - Clarks are well known, but only for cheap stuff.

They dont make the chains, they simply have their own packaging for a chain manufacturer - probably someone like TAYA who only do cheap chains.

Clarks do have some good points, but its mainly on price - even their disc pads etc are simply cheap chinese pads in Clarks packaging - half the price of some other brands, but last and perform half as well.

If you're paying Ultegra money, buy Ultegra definately!!
  • miurasv
    edited March 2011
    FunBus wrote:
    Clarks cables for the same price as Ultegra??!! That must be a typo - Clarks are well known, but only for cheap stuff.

They dont make the chains, they simply have their own packaging for a chain manufacturer - probably someone like TAYA who only do cheap chains.

Clarks do have some good points, but its mainly on price - even their disc pads etc are simply cheap chinese pads in Clarks packaging - half the price of some other brands, but last and perform half as well.

If you're paying Ultegra money, buy Ultegra definitely!!

One thing I do know is that Ultegra cables are not of a high quality. They have brittle outer casings that crack in no time and cheap plastic end caps. The Clarks teflon coated SS cables have high quality aluminium end caps. My Shimano rear brake cable siezed twice in 2 years. I showed this self lubing ptfe chain to a bike tech today and he says it's as good as Campag Record. Apparently, they do make budget items but are now introducing high quality ranges.
  • miurasv
    miurasv wrote:
    FunBus wrote:

If you're paying Ultegra money, buy Ultegra definitely!!

One thing I do know is that Ultegra cables are not of a high quality. They have brittle outer casings that crack in no time and cheap plastic end caps. The Clarks teflon coated SS cables have high quality aluminium end caps. My Shimano rear brake cable siezed twice in 2 years. I showed this self lubing ptfe chain to a bike tech today and he says it's as good as Campag Record.
    Apparently Clarks do have budget ranges but are now introducing high quality ranges too.