Anyone from Cheltenham

beefcake2
beefcake2 Posts: 157
Hello

I am a somewhat overweight cyclist living in Cheltenham. :D My usual cycling friend is only a fair weather cyclist. :cry: I was hoping to find someone from the Cheltenham area that wouldn't mind me tagging along on a ride or 2. I do struggle with the hills but do eventually get up them. :oops: Last summer I was doing 50 miles in about 4-4.5 hours.

Cheers

Beefcake

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Hi there, plenty of club options: ccc, Montpellier and the ctc. Do a google and you should find the websites to see what you want.

I am in the ctc, we meet Sundays at the cafe in the park at 8.30. Several groups and b- looks about right for you at the mo. You can come along as a guest for a few goes to see if you like it. Cheers, Robin.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    edited March 2011
    Get yourself over to the ice-cream hut on Central Cross Drive for 9.15 on Saturday morning.
    There will be 2 groups going out (one faster than the other) to meet up at a caf. At the same
    start point on Sunday morning 9.00 am, there will be 3 CTC groups (slow/steady/fast) and
    2 Cheltenham & County CC groups (fast and faster). Choose your ride carefully and enjoy.

Edit: Oh, and there's the uber fast group VC Montpellier.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    we meet Sundays at the cafe in the park at 8.30. Cheers, Robin.
    I didn't realise it had gone forward to 8.30. (Can't see the point of it as they only get to the
    caf a bit earlier. Initially, the intention was to do a bigger loop before the caf, but that hasn't
    happened for several years now.) :roll:
  • CTC Thursday nights, same start point in the park, three rides at different pace to a country pub.

runslist at: http://cheltenhamctc.wordpress.com/index/ on left side of page

CCCC calendar at: http://www.cc-cc.co.uk/ routes are published on bikely.com and linked on the calendar. on saturday mornings the rides alternate each week between flat and hilly.
    M_G
  • Bobbinogs
    De Sisti wrote:
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    we meet Sundays at the cafe in the park at 8.30. Cheers, Robin.
    I didn't realise it had gone forward to 8.30.

Yepp, 08:30 from this Sunday onwards to officially mark the start of the summer and time to ditch the winter wheels, etc.. Mike even wore shorts last week although I thought that was a bit optimistic.
  • beefcake2
    beefcake2 Posts: 157
    Sorry for not replying. I have been away for a few days. Thanks very much for the advice! I shall give a club a go and see how I get on. I am a little nervous though as I don't want to bite off more than I can chew. I would hate to be the person that everyone is waiting for!
  • I am also up for joining a cheltenham club, anyone got any contact details for the cheltenham CTC?

I have emailed from the contacts page about 3 times but no-one has ever got back to me!

Sorry to hijack the thread
  • Bobbinogs
    Hi chaps.

Beefcake2, don't worry about getting left behind if you can do ~50 in 4ish hours. That is about the pace of the B- group at the CTC or you could drop to the C group if you are really worried (but you will be fine as the company helps you spin). It is a touring group with a lot of mixed abilities (the A's go at a fair old crack whereas the C's tend to enjoy the countryside more) and you certainly don't need a shiny carbon machine, but there is no problem if you do have one. You can chop and change your group depending on how you feel on the day (as in, take it easier on a recovery ride, which is what I normally do after doing my sweaty stomping on lonesome Saturdays).

The Sunday runs, if you look at the website, can be a bit confusing. Basically, they start at 08:30 and the next stop is at a cafe at 11:00 (ish). After a nice break, most of the folks head back to Chelters, getting back at ~13:00. Typical ride is ~65 for the A, ~55 for B, ~50 for B-, etc., but it can vary a bit. Being in the Costwolds the rides are usually lumpy (although there is a policy of 'waiting at the top' of all big climbs).

Don't worry too much about getting in contact, etc. Just turn up at the cafe in Pitville park about 08:15 and introduce yourself. You can have a few goes as a guest before joining. The other clubs have similar policies so give them a go too if you fancy it; you can always pick the one you get on with the best.

Thursdays at the CTC are usually all about an evening spin ending up with a pint at a decent pub, before cycling back. Maybe one to consider...

I will send you both my contact details if you want (PM me) but I am not going out this w/e as I am off to Oxford for an audax. Cheers, Robin
  • MRadd
    MRadd Posts: 205
    Sorry to jump in un-announced..

But may I also add my 2 pence worth?

Performance Cycles down in Cirencester also run rides on a Sat morning. We have 2 groups (fast or medium). Anyone is welcome on these rides, with NO obligation to join the club we have, just to enjoy yourself on a bike!

Oh and there is always fresh tea and freshly baked cakes for when we get back!
    : "Why don't i remember breaking my face?" :

: Semi Professional Grease Monkey, Full time Tea boy... :