Tyre Wall blow outs

contone
contone Posts: 5
edited April 2011 in The workshop
I have a Steel Kona Honky Tonk with mudguards that i bought before xmas for my 13 mile commute to work. I read a few reviews (one on bikeradar) before i bought it and followed their advice and swapped out the cheap tyres for some Conti Four seasons 28 mm. I bought a double pack from wiggle with 2 inner tubes.

For a couple of months it has been great with no punctures and overall the bike has felt really good, I really enjoy the ride and I love having mudguards. However the other morning just when i was thinking i hadnt had a puncture for a while I hear a massive bang and look down to see a flat. I checked the tyre but couldnt find any sharps so changed the inner tube and rode on for it to go again a mile later. Only when i got to work did i realize the tyre had perferated near the rim on side wall. Putting it down to a bad tyre i sent it back to Wiggle who were splendid & replaced my whole pack. In the mean time i purchased another tyre from Evans and put it on, got another couple of days and then the same thing.....Bang.... slight tear in tyre wall.

I cannot believe that i could have 2 side punctures in such quick succession and i have obviously felt round the rim for any sharp edges or rough bits that could be causing the wear but havent been able to find anything that could have caused it. It has been the same back tyre both times.

I have read that it might be down to tyre pressure, but i don't remember being particularly fussy the first couple of months with the 28 mm conti's. Perhaps i should go down to the 25 mm versions but then again wiggle have just sent me 2 spanking new 28 mm's. The overhang would be less with 25mm which might be causing the rub.

any advice would be appreciated

Comments

• Blue Meanie
    Blue Meanie Posts: 495
    Brake Block set too high, rubbing on tyre?
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Continental have been having a few issues with product quality control; you are not the only person to have suffered from unexplained sidewall failures I believe. Shame really as otherwise they are superb tyres.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • contone
    contone Posts: 5
    I had the time to check everything out at the weekend and it looks like it could be the brakepad. It seems that perhaps after some heavy breaking with a slightly worn pad it has shifted up. Hopefully this is the cause of my problems.

Thanks