Rock & Roll Gold

TMR
TMR Posts: 3,986
edited March 2011 in Road buying advice
I bought a bottle from Wiggle on the advise of a fellow forum member. It's arrived today, and I've noticed that the bottle has lumps of white 'stuff' in it. Is this normal?

Comments

• Yes - just give it a shake.
    I have something similar and it is just the lubricant separating from the carrier.
    Summer - Dolan Tuono with Sram Force and Dura-Ace 7850 CL Carbon wheels
    Winter - old faithful Ribble winter bike
    SugarSync cloud storage referral link (better than DropBox atm imho) https://www.sugarsync.com/referral?rf=mzo2tcrhm5gn
  • magoo289
    magoo289 Posts: 223
    Mine became solid.

I have to put it in a cup of warm water to de-solidify (with top off).
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Hi there

Had a similar problem to you not so long ago. You might be interested to read the thread below I started in the Workshop forum.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... highlight=

Since that post I have had to resort to heating the R&R Gold in some warm water then shaking vigorously before applying. This seems to work OK but I can't help thinking that a lube that needs this much faffing around is too much hassle to stick with. Others users seem to have avoided the waxy flake problems so I'm convinced that the stuff I got from Wiggle was either a rogue batch or had suffered from being frozen in transit or in some warehouse somewhere.

When this stuff is done I'm switching to something else - maybe Purple Extreme that was a test winner in the current Cycling Active issue.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Thanks. Will have a look at it when I get home, then try warming it in water as suggested. Thanks :D
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    It says on the bottle not to store below a certain temperature. I think that a batch must have got frozen and ruined. I have used it for a while and never had problems, you do have to shake it. I would return to Wiggle, it clearly isn't as it should be. Using this lube I got over a year and 5000 miles out of a Record chain. Noisy though. Purple Extreme is not as good IMO.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    I used the rock n roll extreme for the mtb - don't make the mistake I did and try and apply it outside on a cold day! It makes a proper mess, wax crystals everywhere but on the chain!

I have to say I was pretty unimpressed with it as well, although I hear the gold is a better product for road bikes. I've since used Progold Prolink for both road and mtb, I love the stuff.
  • Essex Man
    Essex Man Posts: 283
    Only problem I've ever had is applying on to a cold chain - sludgy mess as ajb72 says.