Fred Whitton Challenge

Hi All

I’m doing the Fred for the first time this year, I’ve been training fairly hard and i am aiming for 7 hours. I am just wondering who has done it in 7 hours before and what time did you start at?

the reason i am asking is in previous sportives I’ve ended up riding on m own because I’ve started with a group to fast or to slow and i don’t really want that to happen in the Fred.

Cheers

Comments

• LeighB
    LeighB Posts: 326
    I’ve done it in 7.19 and set off at about 8am and there were lots of people to ride with. I would not worry about being alone as there are quite a lot of riders of varying ability so you normally find someone or a group to ride with. Be careful not to get carried away and go too quick to Honister as you may find you suffer in the second half of the ride, the first 50 miles is a bit of a warn up for when the proper hills start.
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    I did it in 7.28 last year and set off at 7am. Ealy start for me but as leigh says there are plenty of guys on the road for this event at all times. The faster guys usually start off later but as I said I like to go early as the feed stations are fairly busy later but dont worry the're well stocked.

Its good to see the really fast guys pass me later and I can only marvel at their speed on such a course.

For some reason I always see the same people on this event and often seem to go round with at least someone who started at the same time as me.
    Brian B.
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    Hi, I'm doing it this year too - does anyone know the times for gold/silver standard etc? Cheers
  • robrauy
    robrauy Posts: 252
    Just wondering what gearing people are using ?

I've curently got a 50/34 compact and a 12-25 cassette. Do most people ride with something smaller ? So far been fine for some fairly hilly rides, but I'm beginning to realise that this one is a bit different! Hoping to finish in 7.5 - 8 hrs...
  • Brian B
    popette wrote:
    Hi, I'm doing it this year too - does anyone know the times for gold/silver standard etc? Cheers

Under 9hrs - silver
    Under 8hrs - Gold
    Under 7hrs - elite

Just finishing this event is an achievement in its self as its early in the year and most have not got full summer fitness. There are other events just as hard but the killer is Hardnott at 100miles.
    Brian B.
  • ded
    ded Posts: 120
    robrauy wrote:
    50/34 with my special mountain goat :shock: 11-28 SRAM cassette - only ever comes out for Fred+Marmotte. Normally run the standard 12-25 Shimano but those extra 3 teeth are worth it I reckon, it may just spare you the indignity of walking... :lol:

Will be trying to take 6 mins at least off my time this year to get under that 'elite' time...
  • Andrew N
    Andrew N Posts: 119
    It's a great event...beautiful scenery and a great achievement to complete.

About the gearing...not sure it would make any different to me...I always end up walking up Hardnott!
    www.goinggoingbike.com
    ded wrote:
    robrauy wrote:
    50/34 with my special mountain goat :shock: 11-28 SRAM cassette - only ever comes out for Fred+Marmotte. Normally run the standard 12-25 Shimano but those extra 3 teeth are worth it I reckon, it may just spare you the indignity of walking... :lol:

Will be trying to take 6 mins at least off my time this year to get under that 'elite' time...

I'm on this plan too. Would like to do it in under 7 hours.
    Have the Lakeland Loop coming up soon that will give me a good idea where I am fitness wise. Have changed the training plan this year with less quantity in terms of hour after hour in the saddle and more on intensity. Has certainly helped in the 40-50 mile races recently and lookig forward to a couple of 60-70 mile hillly sportives before the Fred. It's all just training for Death on the Alpe in the Marmotte in July anyway :lol:
  • I have some unfinished business with the Fred, I missed breaking 7 hours by 2 mins 31 sec's a couple of years back. Started about 8am, and with a few similar strength riders, but I lost touch with a dropped chain at Honister. It was then a long slog by myself to the end. If I were to do again and going for a sub-7 hour time I would aim at getting in the 9am group.

Good luck, its a great event.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    If they still do the mass start at 8am I'd go off a bit before that if you are aiming at 7 hours. I found most of the 8 o 'clock group go off way too fast - more like the kind of pace you'd do if you were aiming at 6 hours - so to avoid having to bury yourself too much in the first few miles maybe start at 10 to 8 if you can find a small group to go with then - that way you should have groups coming up to you and you can join up with one - if they end up dropping you on Kirkstone there should be more behind.

Few years since I've done it though.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Brian B
    I dont see many groups on this event apart from the good riders or who are mates and wait for each other.

On the Fred and most sportives I just solo it as I tend to enter the hilly sportives and find the hills destroy the groups and the descents are teacherous also and like to take care.

Start time from 6am onwards and no mass start.
    Brian B.
  • Andrew N
    Andrew N Posts: 119
    Perhaps the steep nature of the ups and downs do break up opportunities for groups to form on the FW. However, I've always managed to find decent groups to pedal along with.

Without wanting to overstate the challenge, it is an event that I would not want to ride alone (again!)...i can remember some fairly dark thoughts as I pedalled for over an hour on my own (probably less than 20km!) on one occasion before finding a group I could pedal with.

Due to the distance from the South of England there will be no lakeland adventures for me this year...despite the brutal nature of the climbs it is a fantastic place to cycle.
    www.goinggoingbike.com
  • Cheers guys all good answers. I'm also doing to Lakeland loop next weekend, off up hardknott tomorrow for the last time before the loop. In terms of gearing I'm using a 39/53 and an 11-28 it's been fine so far but I haven't don't hardknott after 100 miles yet!

Still unsure when to start the fred but probably about 8. Anyone wanting to ride in a group aiming for 7 hrs let me know and we could possibly sort something out.

Good luck everyone.
  • AndyD2574
    AndyD2574 Posts: 1,034
    50/34 up front and my 13/29 up back!

See how I go next sunday for the L Loop.

Going to puch for between 7 and 8 hrs and I will be chuffed with that!
    Specialized S Works Venge
    Argon18 E114
    Specialized Langster Single Speed
    Scott Spark Expert 29'er
    GT Avalanche
    http://www.glasgowgreencycleclub.co.uk
  • Same as me Andy im pushing for 7 but il be happy with 8. Have you done the loop or whitton before?
  • AndyD2574
    Same as me Andy im pushing for 7 but il be happy with 8. Have you done the loop or whitton before?

Did both last year. Was really lucky both days with weather.
    Simply didnt train enough before events last year and totally underestimated teh severity pf Hardknott and Wrynose so had to walk but not this year.

Lost over a stone and better gearing shoud see them off!!
    Argon18 E114
    Scott Spark Expert 29'er
    GT Avalanche
  • I've been training hard and lost some weight. I've changed my cassette from an 11-25 to a 11-28 don't know if it's enough but money is restricting what I can change. We will find out next week.

Good luck mate
  • robrauy
    robrauy Posts: 252
    Thanks for the tips. 13-29 cassette ordered!
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    did 6:55 last year.

Started at 7:40am and this worked quite well. You can tag on to groups off Kirkstone, after Matterdale and on the A-road run into Keswick. After Honister it starts to break up so the groups are harder to find.

To get under 7 you need to be aiming to get to the first feed stop (after Honister) around 3 hours.

I ran 33/48 with a 12-27 last year.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • sgt822
    sgt822 Posts: 51
    50-34 with a 11-28. Gets me up Honister et al with no issues.
  • vikingdel
    vikingdel Posts: 24
    Hi guys
    doing the fred for the first time, main worry is getting lost as route seems to require a bit of navagation at some points keswick etc.
    will be ok if in a group but a bit worried if i end up by myself for some of it.
    i read reports on the net of people getting lost and im worring slightly.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    It definitely used to be possible to get lost - for me it was once you got over Whinlatter that it wasn't always obvious which way you were meant to go. That was a few years ago though - with the entry fee what it is now (about 3 times what it was then) I'd be a bit disappinted if the route marking wasn't 100%.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • AndyD2574
    vikingdel wrote:
    Hi guys
    doing the fred for the first time, main worry is getting lost as route seems to require a bit of navagation at some points keswick etc.
    will be ok if in a group but a bit worried if i end up by myself for some of it.
    i read reports on the net of people getting lost and im worring slightly.

Nowt to worry about fella. Route marking spot on and you will always have someone around you.

:)
    Argon18 E114
    Scott Spark Expert 29'er
    GT Avalanche