co2 vs pump

2»

Comments

• rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    same as if the co2 gadget breaks. i will not pay for canisters when i can pump for free unlimited. co2 has probably moved on, when i tried it maybe 2 decades ago there was no trigger and all the gas escaped rapidly whilst i screwed it on.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    I have the Bontrager Air Rush minipump and 'H' bracket fitted to my rear bottle cage. These are the benefits;

1. Holds 2x CO2 inflator cannisters plus rubber protector sleeve.
    2. Holds the mini pump which both pumps manually (with a fair bit of effort!) and can be used as the 'air chuck' to control CO2 cannister dispersal.
    3. Looks VERY neat and tidy on the bike and leaves pockets free for other items.
    4. I've used the CO2 and pump in anger and both work satisfactorily; however the CO2 is a dream, taking mere seconds to inflate to 100psi+.

Downsides/problems I have encountered are;

1. The pump will rattle in the 'H' bracket holder. I cured this by wrapping electrical tape tightly round the base to take up the 'gap'. Problem cured. Water also sits in the 'cup' at the bottom of the pump holder.
    2. With the pump in the holder water runs down between the body and the 'handle' in wet weather. This I cured by tightly wrapping over the join with electrical tape.
    3. A used CO2 cannister must be removed from the pump when used in order to refit the pump in the holder; this means if it is not fully used you lose the bit left. No great problem and maybe I am being tight (or enviromentally more friendly?)
    4. I needed longer bottle cage bolts and had to grind some of the backing off my Tacx bottle cage mounts to make it all fit.

So all in all I think it is a great solution, with a few simple tweaks. I carry 2 spare Conti Supersonic tubes (they take up VERY little room when stowed) in my small Topeak saddle bag, along with 3 Park tyre levers (on reflection I have never used more than 2 at any one time) with a four inch length of old tyre with the beads cut off (for blowout lining) and I wrap the tubes in clingfilm to prevent chaffing damage. Pretty belt and braces I'd say.....but I have used 2 tubes and both cannisters on one ride......twice....

PP