Headset Bearing Query

Dom_MBUK
Dom_MBUK Posts: 96
edited March 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
So I took my bike down to the LBS to have to have the BB and Headset fitted, and all seems well until I got home and began to assemble the forks. The headtube now, after picking the frame up, appears to have a load of sand and grit in it which has worked it's way into the headset bearings. There was no grit in the headtube when I dropped my frame off so I can only pressume it's from something on there end. Anyhow more to the point, the headset has been fitted and the bearings in the underside cup which are covered in grit are seated inside the cup, and I was just wondering whether I am able to remove the bearings from the cup without actually removing the cup from the frame to clean and re-grease the bearings.

The headset is a FSA Orbit XL II

Any help will be much appreciated

Cheers
Intense 5.5 EVP

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes they just pull out.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Dom_MBUK
    Dom_MBUK Posts: 96
    Cheers Nick, will I be able to pull them out by hand, or will it require a lever of some sort such as a flat head screwdriver?
    Intense 5.5 EVP
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Should come out by hand, they are a loose fit, or gently with a small screwdriver if you can't get purchase with your finger.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools