Should I go SPD? And on a budget!!

mikeysickalrigh
mikeysickalrigh Posts: 246
edited April 2011 in MTB buying advice
I have been thinking about going clipless for a while now and think that I will take the plunge. I mainly do xc and trail riding.

My reasons for switching is for a more stable platform and more efficiency when riding. I find that when I get tired on a long ride my feet slip out of position, before I know it I'm peddling uphill on my heels!!

Also what sort of budget pedals and shows can I get. (by budget I mean cheapest I can get!)

Thanks!

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Shimano M520 which are great pedals as well as being dirt cheap.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    I would say that if your feet are slipping you have bad flats, or bad shoes or both.

Mine do not slip at all, ever.

5.10 and THIN pedals gives you all the grip you need.

Do not go SPD as it is the fashionable thing to do, there are a lot of disadvantages that come with it.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • I've just switched pedals because I lacked confidence when doing some tricky technical sections whilst being clipped in. I'm now running Shimano M647's, so I have the choice of SPD or Flats. Your efficiency is much better, especially up hill with SPDs but just remember that it is a bit scary at first being attached to the bike when doing techy sections. I had an EPIC 'off' the other day, and hated the fact I was still attached to the bike afterwards (need to adjust tension on pedals).
    Specialized FSR XC Expert 2010
  • If your serious about some SPD's - I have a set for sale. Shimano M540's, with cleats.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :MESELX:IT
    Specialized FSR XC Expert 2010
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    Do not go SPD as it is the fashionable thing to do, there are a lot of disadvantages that come with it.

And there are disadvantages to flats too. Like taking lumps out of yourself with the pins on the pedals.

Nothing wrong with SPDs or Flats really and this guy wants to try SPDs.

So back on subject.

Shimano M520 pedals are good and can be had for £20. Shoes are a bi more personal but something like a Shimano MT33 would be a good choice to start with.
  • Yeah I'll keep my flats but want to give SPDs a go.

Found the M520 on ebay for cheap so I think I'll go with them.
    Shoes wise, I'll go try some on this weekend, anything I should be looking for?
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Try some Specialized shoes. I have just bought a pair, really comfortable. Not cheap, they start at 50quid, but worth it for the quality and fit. I had a pair of shimanos before, and they were very uncomfortable after a half hour. Lasted forever though!
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    You can correct the feet position without going for SPDs you need to experiment with riding with your hands either side of the stem. It pulls your shoulders round which keeps your knees and feet straight.

But SPDs are good for consistent feet positions too.
  • markp2
    markp2 Posts: 162
    Lidl supermarket for shoes. £12-14 for a pair usually. I find them more comfy than the Dhb and Shimano ones I have tried (and about 25% of the price).
    If you don't like the SPDs you can use the shoes with flats or just as regular trainers.
    Genesis Croix de Fer - my new commuting mount
    Saracen Hytrail - the workhorse - now pensioned off
    Kinetic-One FK1 roadie - the fast one - hairy legs though!
    Cannondale Jekyll Lefty MTB - the muddy one which keeps tipping me into gorse bushes!
  • wheezee
    wheezee Posts: 461
    Find I'm much happier clipped in on all surfaces. I was hesitant at first, fearing I'd get tangled with the bike when I fell, but I always seem to soar free as a bird whenever the trail fails to understand my perfect technique.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Hate SPD's myself but I would say try it, but compare ti to decent flats witha decent set of soled flatties :)

everyone is different.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    wheezee wrote:
    Find I'm much happier clipped in on all surfaces. I was hesitant at first, fearing I'd get tangled with the bike when I fell, but I always seem to soar free as a bird whenever the trail fails to understand my perfect technique.
    :lol:
    +1
    I switched to SPDs, from grippy shoes and decent flats, and I prefer the SPDs. Some people don't though, and that's fair enough.

DHB M1 shoes are good, and good value, but still £50. M520 pedals are fine, I've got a pair of M540s and M520s, can't tell the difference in use, maybe the 540s will last longer, who knows?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    +1 for lidl shoes - I have a couple of pairs of them and I prefer them to more expensive shoes. BUT, you do need to replace the sole plate as its not thick enough and can easily get thread stripped. Personally I would buy them + some multi-release cleats as they come with a base plate too.

There is nothing worse than trying to kick out of a pedal to find that you've lost a bolt. as the only place your going is on your backside.
  • Why not try toe clips? still very easy to get of if needed yet offer a little more structure to your feet slipping forwards
  • I'd say its worth a try. I only went clipless when i bought my Giant, cos i wangled some free pedals from the shop! then i found some Shimano MT41 shoes for £35, bargain. Not looked back since TBH.

Shimano M520 pedals are cheap and do the job as good as any more expensive options, also bought a second set for my new bike as they're that good!

Shoes - the ones i got are now £30 on Chain reaction but in small sizes, or theres a few cheaper ones on their site, £20-25.

You should be able to get both for under £50 easy enough.
    2009 - Giant Trance X3

2011 - Focus Black Forest XT
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Why not try toe clips? still very easy to get of if needed yet offer a little more structure to your feet slipping forwards
    If you're using toe clips as intended, then you have to physically reach down to unbuckle them to get out of them.
    Also there's the issue of them flipping upside down each time.
    They do not belong on a mountain bike, and should have stayed in the 80s, or on track bikes.
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    Why not try toe clips? still very easy to get of if needed yet offer a little more structure to your feet slipping forwards
    You could get yourself a nice leather helmet while you're at it...

I currently have clips on my GT which is only being used in a turbo trainer at the moment, they're even a PITA on that.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • Thanks for the advice!

I think I'll go with the M520s and find some shoes too, I'll give my local Lidl a ring as you're not the first one to mention them!!

I'll be keeping my flats just in case I don't get on with them.