Tektro Brake Bleeding please help

shaunlfc1
shaunlfc1 Posts: 132
edited March 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

Just brought a Carerra Fury 2006 Peak Spec (red/grey) as a hack. Its almost brand new the person I brought it from, used it 2/3 times when he first got it from new and its been doing nothing since. If its done 100 miles since 2006 I'd be surprise.

Anyway the front brake is fine but the rear brake lever comes all the way back to the bars, and just about helps to slow the bike.

Now I have a Stumjumper and have bled my Avid elixirs a few times and find it easy. I cannot seem to see or work out what type of Tektro's I have. I think they are Auriga's, but the Tektro manual shows plugging a tube into the top reservoir, I've had the top cover off the reservoir and it seems relatively empty but I cannot see anywhere where a tube or a union would plug into to aid the bleeding up from the caliper.

When I pulled the lever with the cover off, a bit of fluid oozed out of the workings and a few bubbles appeared, so it looks clear it needs fillling up and bleeding.

So can anyone help distinguish what model of tektro brakes I have and any advice on how to bleed them?

Cheers,

Shaun

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    pics needed.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • delta5
    delta5 Posts: 265
    The bleed screw should be on top of the reservoir.
    The BR search thing isn't finding anything prior to the recent forum crash but my post in this thread has links to others with the info you need.

[ PS edit:
    On the Auriga Comps, the bleed screw is on the reservoir, and there are two different positions and sizes depending on the year.
    On ordinary Aurigas there is no bleed screw, you have to remove the cover plate as you have done. ]
    My abundant supply of MTFU is reserved for use in dry, sunny conditions.
  • shaunlfc1
    shaunlfc1 Posts: 132
    I thnk they are ordinary Auriga's. So would it just be a case of syringe and tube on Caliper and fill up from the bottom until reservoir is full then replace reservoir cover?

I will try and take some pics very soon.

Thanks for all your help.
  • delta5
    delta5 Posts: 265
    Just had a look at the manual and it's starting to come back now :? - been a while since I bled Aurigas. As there is no bleed screw on the reservoir, you have to add fluid at the reservoir and bleed it downwards out of the caliper. This makes getting bubbles out more tedious than if you bled it bottom to top, and of course things can get messy around the open reservoir.
    Make sure the plastic tube is secure on the caliper bleed valve and is long enough to reach into a waste oil bottle. Watch out for air being drawn back in at the caliper. As you pump the lever, keep the reservoir topped up so you don't get air down into the master cylinder. Have lots of kitchen towel handy to mop up any overflow!

For the back brakes at least, it works well to take the lever off the bike and clamp it to a railing or something higher than the bars, so that the hose is straight-ish and angled at about 30 degrees, which allows bubbles to come up the hose while fluid goes down. Once you've topped up or replaced the fluid, take the hose to a more vertical angle and gently tap on the caliper, hose and cylinder to dislodge any persistent bubbles and get them moving to the top. It is a fiddly job, but worst that can happen is a mess and lots of air in the system, in which case you just start over. :)
    My abundant supply of MTFU is reserved for use in dry, sunny conditions.