Cantabria or Basque region of Spain

npp62
npp62 Posts: 10
edited April 2011 in Tour & expedition
A friend of mine has asked if i fancy a few days away cycling in Spain. Of course I jumped at the chance of some decent roads and almost guaranteed good weather. Does anyone have experience of either Cantabria or the Basque country? Which would be best for road riding? And can you recommend any cycle friendly accomodation (with a couple of nice bars closeby of course) Many thanks in advance. Neil

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    I wouldn't assume that you will get guaranteed good weather at least not outside of the summer months - weather systems coming in off the Atlantic mean the weather can be changeable. So pack waterproofs etc just in case.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    I'd recommend Northern Spain and have cycled through/in both regions. Although not the highest of mountains you get the best of everything, Picos de Europa mountains, lovely beaches with nice coastal roads, nice towns/villages. Can't recommend places to stay as I mountain biked and camped for a month. I went Santander - along the coast into the Picos (the climb to the lakes at Covadonga is great) - to Pamplona - to Bilbao. Depending on time, I'd recommend Santander to St Vicent de la Barquera (lovely place, see pic) and then into the Picos. As stated, weather can be changeable though. I camped in snow in the mountain tops in May/June but the base was always warm with occasional rain.

f00024.jpg
    san_vicente_de_la_barquera_cantabria_spain_photo_gov.jpg
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Aggieboy wrote:
    f00024.jpg

wow that is a great picture.
  • Tim Farr
    Tim Farr Posts: 665
    I've had four holidays in Cantabria and Asturias and have always taken the bike. Fabulous scenery and always interesting climbs and valley roads. There's also the Ruta de Cares - a footpath thru the mountains. However English speakers are rare - take a phrase book and learn some Spanish!!!!
    T Farr
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Potes is the main town for the Picos de Europas. There is a lovely route from Val de san Vicente through Herrerias. From Potes there is a one-way climb to Fuentas De with a cable car to the mountain top. The track to Sotres is OK on a touring bike but may be not on a racer.
    Along the coast there are some lovely small fishing villages, Cudillero and the less touristy Luarca (squid capital of the world). The regional city, Oviedo is good for day trips.
    Cycling is excellent throughout the region. The local railway takes bikes and stops at every village.
    This is Green Spain so expect some rain.