Pro Cycling Mag.

Ron Stuart
Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
edited April 2011 in Pro race
Is £38.92 for 13 issues good value for Pro Cycling Magazine? 40% discount through my British Cycling mambership.

I dropped C+ resently is Pro Cycling better? Obviously the content will differ.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    edited March 2011
    Given that this website is affiliated with procycling (and C+) - most of the answers willl be yes.

In my experience, the quality of the journalism between cycle sport and procycling are reasonably even, see-sawing from one to the other.

Procycling's a little prettier though. And a little more polished.

They're both infinitely better than C+ though, which is duuuuuuull.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    I tend to find it's mixed. Sometimes you get a good read and think "I should subscribe" then I go buy the next month's edition and it's not as good, and I leave it.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    If you have an iPad, or don't mind reading it on a PC, the Zinio option is excellent. £23 subs for 13 issues or something similar.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    I subscribe and think it's a cracking read.
  • northernneil
    northernneil Posts: 1,549
    I get it ...and enjoy it

always a good mix of current articles/interviews intertwined with excellent historical articles which I particuarly enjoy - which certainly dont feature in any other cycling mag.

(confession .... I sometimes cut out the pretty pictures and put them up in my garage :oops: )
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    I subscribe and think it's a cracking read.

I should subscribe but don't. I usually pick it up from my newsagent. I love it, great read.
  • Gingerflash
    Gingerflash Posts: 239
    I think ProCycling is excellent. the revamp now makes it a very nice thing to hold too, although a little too posh for reading in the bath etc.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    I think ProCycling is excellent. the revamp now makes it a very nice thing to hold too, although a little too posh for reading in the bath etc.

Nothing's too posh (or too dirty) for the bath :D
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I'm a subscriber and would recommend it. By and large the articles are very good and since the revamp the quality of the printed product has taken a step up (bigger format, better paper, more effects on the cover). I know the latter isn't that important but it does make it more exciting to unwrap...and print is my job so I appreciate these things!

I subscrve to Cycle Sport as well and think that overally Pro Cycling pips it, though Cycle Sport does have some good articles.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    I pay about £16, I think, a quarter for Cycle Sport and I've recently subscribed to Pro Cycling.
    It was actually another thread complaining about the price increase in PC that made me buy it to see what the fuss was about.
    I was really impressed with the new layout/picture quality etc and knew I'd more than likely get it every month so subscription was the answer.
    And you get it that wee bit earlier through the letterbox :)
  • There used to be very little between Cycle Sport and Pro Cycling, but recently Pro Cycling has become more like Rouleur. I don't think Cycling Plus is dull, I get it from time to time. It's just a very different magazine. Don't think you'll find too many fans in this section of the forum. It's more of a "road buying advice" sort of publication!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    You can get a cheap Cycle Sport sub with Tesco Clubcard vouchers. Thinking of ditching my Cycling Plus sub for Pro Cycling - at least it has more interesting content rather than regurgative content from C+ aimed at Mamils - it only took about 10 mins to read cover-to-cover this month.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Neil McC
    Neil McC Posts: 625
    I think both Cycle Sport & Procycling have improved recently. I subscribe to both and it's much cheaper & more worthwhile than buying at cover price. The recent issues of both have been very good I thought. There's some good articles on retro stuff, I especially enjoy the ones by Herbie Sykes in Procycing.

I think the next issue of Cycling plus (end of April) is going to be revamped, I'm not a buyer at the moment but I'll have a look at the revamp next issue.
  • Ron Stuart
    Thanks Guys, interesting feed back and I think I shall go for PC at the discount price. :wink:

The pictures in my workshop of Jan Ullrich and co are getting a bit faded now as well but I shall keep my ones Of Vicky P astride a track bike in a black dress and heels though. :oops:
  • brakelever
    brakelever Posts: 158
    Aways found pro cycling a good read and since the revamp certainly looks a class product , love the articles on races and riders from the past , but have their test riders ever ridden a bike they did not like , or would that upset the applecart to much ? :lol:
  • Ron Stuart
    brakelever wrote:
    Aways found pro cycling a good read and since the revamp certainly looks a class product , love the articles on races and riders from the past , but have their test riders ever ridden a bike they did not like , or would that upset the applecart to much ? :lol:

Agree with your take on the 'Bike Testers', after reading virtually the same reviews rattled out over the years in C+ you begin to wonder just how much the testers are prepared to call it like it really is, would they be prepared to say that maybe a Colnago or De Rosa was poor value for money in plane terms? or would they talk in raptures about the brands thoroughbred status as a producer of quailty bikes of the highest order historically.
    I now which statement has more warm words in it. :wink:
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    There used to be very little between Cycle Sport and Pro Cycling, but recently Pro Cycling has become more like Rouleur. I don't think Cycling Plus is dull, I get it from time to time. It's just a very different magazine. Don't think you'll find too many fans in this section of the forum. It's more of a "road buying advice" sort of publication!

I subscribe to C+ but do not take any racing mags. I also subscribe exclusively to this forum on the basis that the Tifosi here give a better insight than I'll ever get from a racing mag
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Subscriber to PC and i love it. Although i have to say i was bitterly disappointed to see them revert back to having the Giro 'stage by stage' actually in the magazine instead of a supplement. That's a pretty poor show, and it was obviously a slow month on the journo front. Never usually knock it mind.

CS i only buy after i've flicked through it in Smiths... but have to agree it has got better recently with more content. Wish they'd stop with the photo montages every issue though, its getting a little boring.

A
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    Neil McC wrote:
    I think both Cycle Sport & Procycling have improved recently. I subscribe to both and it's much cheaper & more worthwhile than buying at cover price. The recent issues of both have been very good I thought. There's some good articles on retro stuff, I especially enjoy the ones by Herbie Sykes in Procycling.

+1 The interviews in PC are more indepth and the diaries are good too. I think Herbie Sykes has been a great find. Enjoy his articles and he's a better rider than that Rendell (kick, spit, kick!)
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • The Jack
    The Jack Posts: 52
    I for one find the new Procycling somewhat boring.

Looking forward to the new C+ though.
    "Wo ist mein Fahrrad?"

-Ralf Hutter of Kraftwerk waking up from a coma after a crashing with his bicycle-
  • brakelever
    brakelever Posts: 158
    Anybody know how to get hold of back copys of pro cycling including early iones ? :lol: