Campag 10 or 11

rowman
rowman Posts: 111
edited March 2011 in Road buying advice
Reading the C+ review of the Athena 11 speed groupset it suggests two possible downsides:

1. noisy transmission

2. difficulty keeping it in trim

I'm just about to order a new bike. But should I stick with campag 10 speed or take the plunge and move to 11?

All opinions comments welcome

Comments

• on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    rowman wrote:
    Reading the C+ review of the Athena 11 speed groupset it suggests two possible downsides:

1. noisy transmission

2. difficulty keeping it in trim

I'm just about to order a new bike. But should I stick with campag 10 speed or take the plunge and move to 11?

I use Record 11 and it works perfectly. It is a bit noisy on some cogs more than others. You have to make sure the mech hanger is aligned properly with a special tool (£20 or LBS). The other downside is the cost of the chain tool although I think you can use a missing link now.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • Mad Roadie
    Mad Roadie Posts: 710
    10 for me - bulletproof
  • Lillywhite
    Lillywhite Posts: 742
    edited March 2011
    rowman wrote:

I've had the Athena 11 speed carbon groupset on my best, summer use only, bike for over a year. It hasn't missed a beat and required no adjustment whatsoever.

Don't believe everything you read in Cycling Plus. :wink:
  • Like it or not, 11 speed is what future Campag groupsets will be, so I would go with 11.

I've been running 11 on one bike since Super Record came out almost 3 years ago and I changed from 10 to Athena 11 on the winter bike last year.

No problems with gear slippage/trim at all. 11 speed does needs to be set-up correctly initially which some people just don't seem to get right. (e.g. pay attention to cable routing, loops and initial indexing)

Athena shifts very well indeed, I recommend it.