Schwalbe Ultremo R1 - Any problems experienced

Guinea Pig
Guinea Pig Posts: 18
edited March 2011 in Road buying advice
I have a brand new set of Ultremo R1s bought before the new ZX version was launched - Are these tyres any good? Is it worth putting them on my race bike or should I relegate these to my training bike and buy some new rubber for my best machine,
I have heard that the R1s are prone to be unreliable - Advice appreciated.

Comments

• 1_reaper
    1_reaper Posts: 322
    Had no dramas with them last season. now got ZX fitted but yet to give them some stick and test them out
  • FunBus
    FunBus Posts: 394
    The Ultremo R had several teething problems leading to a recall and lots of research/testing. This resulted in it being relaunched as the Ultremo R1 and i've never heard a bad word against them since.

Until the ZX was launched, this was Schwalbe's top end road tyre (excluding tubs etc) so in answer to your question, yes, they are top notch tyres and are perfectly capable of being raced on......this cannot be said with 100% confidence to everyone though as there are several factors which go into a tyres performance and durability. But, in comparison to other brands, the R1 will stand up to the same as any other high quality road tyre
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
  • I had a pair of the original Ultremo's with the manufacturing defect, which Schwalbe replaced with 2 pairs as compensation for the issue.

Didn't stop me from ordering the ZX's as the originals were one of the best tyre's I have ridden......comfortable, light, fast and reasonably robust to punctures.
    Summer - Dolan Tuono with Sram Force and Dura-Ace 7850 CL Carbon wheels
    Winter - old faithful Ribble winter bike
    SugarSync cloud storage referral link (better than DropBox atm imho) https://www.sugarsync.com/referral?rf=mzo2tcrhm5gn