Fitting standard tyres as tubeless on XT rims

jeffdoran
jeffdoran Posts: 77
edited March 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Just wondered if anyone had had any success at fitting standard tyres as tubeless on Shimano XT rims

Am trying to fit maxxis ardent (non-UST) to save a bit of weight. Have read that they should seal ok but despite getting them to inflate I couldn't get them to seal. I was using some specialized sealant (all my lbs sold).

Am wondering if this is a sealant problem (was pretty cheap, try again with stans maybe?) or if this is just a non-starter (rim and bead not quite good enough to seal with non-ust?)

Thanks in advance, JD

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    You need quite a lot of sealant, I just about managed to get some non-tubeless rampages to seal (with a compressor to get the initial bead locked in)

Were they just constantly going down overnight? You probably need more and a better sealant.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    fit tubes. :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jeffdoran
    jeffdoran Posts: 77
    Ok thanks. Might give it one more go with better sealant. If not, I'll stick with tubes I guess.
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Just need better sealant, running non ust tyres with cafe latex (from crc) no problems so far...
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    ive had no probs running non ust maxxis tyres with non ust rims with only rim tape n a bit of selaant but you do need enough pressure to keep the tyre from rolling over and releasing the bead.

but kind of contridicts the whole reason for going tubless (low pressures)