Road vs MTB pedals

ddraver
ddraver Posts: 26,391
edited March 2011 in Road buying advice
Hi Guys

I ve worn out (destroyed) my Crank Bros Quattro pedal cleats and tbh, the shoes I used on them. I'm a keen MTBer and already have a nice pair of SIDI MTB shoes with Time pedals.

I was going to get some of those new fangled I-Clic pedals and a new set of shoes but...that's nearly double the price! Will I really notice the difference if I just get another set of Time MTB pedals?
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Comments

• skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    The cheaper & easier option is another set of Time MTB pedals, using your existing Sidi MTB shoes...

...then again, there is the option of a new pair of road shoes and roadie pedals... ...a slight overall weight saving, stiffer soles and therefore (slightly) better performance. They may even look prettier. 8)

...then again, there is the walking like a duck on ice at the cafe stops... :wink:
    Cycling weakly
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    i bet the sidis soles are the same as road soles. i ride time atac pedals on the road and get on well.i say go for it. they last yeas and years, well sealed bearings and strong.
  • Slack
    Slack Posts: 326
    Depends on how much road riding you do.....

Road specific pedals usually have a wider surface area to promote a more stable and efficient pedalling platform. I converted from using my MTB SPD's to road SPD SL and instantly noticed firmer and more efficient pedalling.
    Plymouthsteve for councillor!!
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Slack wrote:
    Depends on how much road riding you do.....

Road specific pedals usually have a wider surface area to promote a more stable and efficient pedalling platform. I converted from using my MTB SPD's to road SPD SL and instantly noticed firmer and more efficient pedalling.

Wot he said. I was donated a pair of SPD-SL by a mate who was insistent that they were much better for the road, I treated myself to a cheap pair of DHB R1s and guess what, my mate was absolutely right. Noticeably more efficient, particularly when beasting out of the saddle.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris