Wheels around €1000

Eddie2593
Eddie2593 Posts: 15
edited April 2011 in Road buying advice
im currently looking for a sort of "do it all" pair of wheels... that i can use for sportives and everyday riding.
the wheels im currently looking at right now are the:
Zipp 101 (2011)
Fulcrum Racing Zero (2011)
Mavic Ksyrium SR (2011)
Any thoughts?

Comments

• inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    You can't do much better than DA cl 24s. Light, stiff, aero and under budget!
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I have the red spoked version of the fulcrum racing zero's which are good wheels.

Also have a 4 year old pair of dura ace, predecessors of the cl24's (which themselves are now being replaced by the 7900 version). They have proven themselves to be extremely dependable, their only flaw being the rim profile which makes changing tyres a real chore. My understanding is that this was rectified with the 7850 version.

I also have the mavic r-sys wheels which are very smooth when combined with open pave tyres (which wheels wouldn't be??!!).

On reflection though, unless I considered it necessary to go for some aero profiled wheels, I couldn't really justify spending more than the dura ace wheelset - my 4 year old wheels, used throughout for commuting are as true now as the day I got them. Anything more for me would be real candy floss (not necessarily a bad thing!!).

Peter
  • I have the Racing Zeros - I am totally impressed them with - They have stayed true - accelerate well and roll brilliantly - All the wheels you have listed are going to be great - Lets face it none of them are cheap.
  • trailstar
    trailstar Posts: 114
    i am in the same boat, i don't particularly want a carbon rim and i'm willing to spend upto around £800 for a quality clincher set that'll last a long time.

I ended up settling for a set of wheels build by the guys at poshbikes.com a few days ago -> DT Swiss 1.1 rims, CX-RAY spokes, Tune hubs. Brilliant build quality and are fantastically made.
  • Tucky
    Tucky Posts: 34
    Anybody have any experience of the Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL 2011's?

I can get them in a clincher for £580, looks very tempting instead of the Planet X tubs.
  • trailstar
    trailstar Posts: 114
    A friend has them on his triathlon bike, he really likes them. Says they spin up fine, keep their speed well and feel quite solid. However they aren't light, think they're coming in around 1800grams with tape & skewers?
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Where can you get the Carbones for £580 ?

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Tucky
    Tucky Posts: 34
    Where can you get the Carbones for £580 ?

Planet X have got a good deal on them, and getting them delivered overseas gets another 20% knocked off.

Very good deal, have just ordered them as I fugured it'll save me getting a set of training wheels too.