what would you upgrade if this was your bike?

andy46
andy46 Posts: 1,666
edited March 2011 in MTB general
Hi guys

as the title says if this was your bike what would you be looking at changing?

I've had the Spark a couple of years now and i've only really changed a few little things, mainly comfort wise and cosmetic.
I'm interested to hear what people see as 'weak spots' in the spec. I have thought about wheels with red Hope hubs, but then i got thinking forks, XT or SLX cranks, XT front mech, rear shock etc etc :lol:

this will give me something to think about so thanks in advance for any replies, here's a link with the bikes spec
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/sco ... e-ec016228

only things i have changed so far-

Selle Italia c2 saddle
red Hope q/r skewers and seat post clamp
Peaty Lizard Skin grips
Continental Race King Supersonic tyres

Heres a pic of it028.jpg

thanks again for any input :)
2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Chainset.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • sharky1029
    sharky1029 Posts: 188
    Crankset as you said.
    Rear shock to a Fox
    I'd put SPD's on it too but that is personal I guess.
  • andy46
    Andy B wrote:
    Chainset.

any suggestions, i was thinking XT or SLX :?
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    andy46 wrote:
    Andy B wrote:
    Chainset.

any suggestions, i was thinking XT or SLX :?
    Whichever is in your budget from those two
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What needs replacing?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    I'd say either wheels unless the chainrings/bb need replacing, then either fork or rear shock, unless you are happy with both of them, in whick case just wait till one of them dies.

Wheels - Stans Crest or Olympic on Hope
    Cranks - SLX or XT as above, or one of the new Sram ones.
    Forks - Reba, SID, or a Magura Durin
    Rear Shock - Fox RP2/RP23
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • john74
    john74 Posts: 254
    nothing. until it breaks. Its alot better than mine and i still have fun.
    2010 Forme Reve
    2010 Giant Talon 1
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    if it was my bike i would probably keep the seatpost clamp and change everything else.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • Monst
    Monst Posts: 26
    Forget upgrades to the bike...it's lovely as it is.

Just replace stuff as it wears.. but be smart... for example...a Deore 2011 chainset is better than a 'Bargain' 2009 XT chainset...it' will be harder and take more abuse.

What I would spend your money on is spd pedals and good shoes...you will be amazed as to the difference!!

Have fun..
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    cooldad wrote:
    What needs replacing?

+1
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    pastey_boy wrote:
    if it was my bike i would probably keep the seatpost clamp and change everything else.

I ditched my Hope seatclamp, it kept slipping. The bolted one I replaced it with weighs less and hasn't slipped once :)

As for what I'd change, I'd probably upgrade the wheels first. That'll make the biggest change in how the bike feels
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I'd go for wheels first, something like the hope SP3-XC crest wheelset (not available in red) or something handbuilt on red.

Then I'd do the rear shock, but you'll stuggle to find something that fits and takes the lockout, which you need on the sparks.

Then I'd weigh all the finishing kit and replace it with stuff thats light and cheap, probably the exotic carbon stuff which is great VFM and pretty light.

I'd slap on some foam grips and mg-1/superstar nanos (pedals)

Brakes, if you don't like them, then go for some formula ones.

I'd do the groupset as it wear out
  • andy46
    nicklouse wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    What needs replacing?

+1

nothing 'needs' replacing really, just looking at ways to improve the bike.

it's my first and only full sus bike and with it not being at the higher end of the Spark range i was just wondering what parts had been put on as a comprise. :)
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sods law says you'll spend your money on bling and then break something else.

Unless you are more capable than the bike (I know I'm not) I vote for blow and hookers.

But welcome to the slippery slope.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    I'd remove the plastic thing from the cassette, immediate weight saving. Maybe paint the shed.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    andy46 wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    What needs replacing?

+1

nothing 'needs' replacing really, just looking at ways to improve the bike.

it's my first and only full sus bike and with it not being at the higher end of the Spark range i was just wondering what parts had been put on as a comprise. :)

all I would change before they are worn out are the Hope Qrs.

but back to your bike. run it for this season dont forget the first service as things will need adjusting...

and look to spend next winter. as you could well need new wheels by then.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    andy46 wrote:
    as the title says if this was your bike what would you be looking at changing? )
    What does it matter what we think? It's your bike. Change whatever you feel is lacking in it. If it doesn't feel lacking, leave it alone.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    i'd agree with nick...ditch the hope qr's and seatpost clamp and get some decent shimano ones. The hope stuff you put on was an error, done totally on looks.

I like hope products (specifically, brakes and hubs from 5+ years ago! I still have a set of wheels with almost 10 years old bulbs on them, and a set of original minis...all running better than much newer stuff i have removed from other bikes)....but not their cams in the skewers and clamps. they are poo.

if you do the cranks....I'd go slx....can hardly feel any difference between them and xt...diminishing returns....and the BB is exactly the same, however...never underestimate a plain deore external BB....deore front mechs do everything you want as well. no need for XT in these places.

Oh...and I would ditch the conti tyres....I hate 'em, but thats based entirely on the Mountain Kings which felt like they were made of plastic and offered no grip...anywhere.

but hey...you asked for personal opinions right?

:D
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    Id go for SLX. The XT design hasnt changed in a few years whereas the SLX has so probably more advanced than the more expensive XT

Would also change the tyres, but thats just my preference
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    I went for SLX cranks (the rest XT) and i'm very happy with them. They look great, feel very robust and I can't honestly notice anything negative vs the XT cranks that I used to have....
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • andy46
    thanks for all the replies, it seems wheels and chainset would be the most popular changes though i'll probably wait for the chainset to wear out. might as well get my moneys worth out of it :lol:

i'd best get researching some wheels then, so many choices.

just out of interest, whats wrong with the hope q/r's and seat clamp? they seem well made and do their job :?

as for the tyres the Race Kings only get used in the dry, when it's wet i have a set of Mountain Kings but these are quite worn now.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

• cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    andy46 wrote:
    just out of interest, whats wrong with the hope q/r's and seat clamp? they seem well made and do their job :?

The cams seem to be of very variable perfromance...some folk use them with no issues, others can't finish a ride without them coming undone....

There is an apparent set of 'golden rules' which some people say means they always work...

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... sc&start=0

One of these golden rules is keep them dry and clean. I don't know about you...but I can't remeber the last ride I had that was either dry, or clean!

But as said in other places...Shimano Deore skewerss just work without any 'golden rules'...and are bombproof.

As for Conti Mountain Kings....I got a set on my Orange Crush last year....after as few as 6 rides....I relegated them to my girlfriends bike and stole the Panaracers that were on that....I could not find a condition where the MK's gave me any trust in their perfromance other than riding on the road...and even then, over cobble in the wet, I had the front wheel wash out on me twice. To be honest, I was lucky to slap a foot down to stop me hitting the deck on one of those occasions.

Speaking to the guys at Orange, they agreed. Ditch the MK's as soon as you get the bike and get some rubber that works, although I have heard different things about the supersonic versions.

cee
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I'd change the gear cables (inners and outers) and use full length outers. A new set of cables can make a big difference and make the bike feel new again.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • beany123
    beany123 Posts: 133
    chainset xt all the way.....
    Giant Trance 1

Live to ride
  • NatoED
    NatoED Posts: 480
    wheels , brakes (maugras are a good choice) and control points ergo grips are nice.
  • weescott
    weescott Posts: 453
    The Race King SS are a good choice of tyre. I have the 2" versions on the Blur. The MK SS are great tyres too. Don't change a thing there. But as an alternative try the Schwalbe RR.

I agree with the Hope QR parts. I went for a Halo bolt on skewer for the rear wheel of my Blur. lighter and stiffer.

Chainset: SLX cranks with XT rings. Best of both. :P

Brakes: Formula R1's are very light. Magura's feel good until you need them, then they feel wooden.