Ragley Full Suspension Prototype

Shotsaway
Shotsaway Posts: 175
edited March 2011 in MTB general
Interesting............

g6-photo3.jpg

Comments

• very interesting................
    1996 GT Borrego - 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Expert - 2010 Specialized enduro expert
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Unless there's another linkage hiding behind the chainset, It may possibly be the least interesting "new" bike in a while.
    But no doubt, countless adoring fans will be fawning over this as well.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    What leads you to believe that it's a Ragley prototye? :lol:

Brant talks about dual links in the website so I'm thinking maybe that's what's hidden behind the cranks... But it does look pretty dull doesn't it.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    *Thinks*... Hmm, Giant Trace clone?
  • Anonymous
    Unless there's another linkage hiding behind the chainset, It may possibly be the least interesting "new" bike in a while.
    But no doubt, countless adoring fans will be fawning over this as well.

It's supposed to have some sort of floating bottom linkage or something.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120

I knew it looked familiar :lol:
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684

Looks a lot like the sus design that Mondraker use too.

mondraker-dune-2010-mountain-bike.jpg
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    thel33ter wrote:

Looks a lot like the sus design that Mondraker use too.

It's not just the rear suspension design, it's also the curvature within the top tube of the frame that reminds me of the Giant Trance design...
  • Anonymous
    Hmm, if there is another linkage there, then it has the potential to offer something interesting. Especially if it's going to be bargain bucket cheap.[/img]
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Hmm, if there is another linkage there, then it has the potential to offer something interesting. Especially if it's going to be bargain bucket cheap.

It's a dual link with fully floating shock, so yes, there's another linkage there.
  • Anonymous
    Fully gloating shock :lol:
    Daftest mtbing term ever!
    So, essentially it's the same setup as a Santa Cruz Vpp, or a Whyte quad link. That is great news, since small changes to the linkages can result in very significant changes to the suspension behaviour, and may offer a truly unique solution.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    hmmm, similar to trek... could be good... esp if it's priced as well as brant's other offerings...

it's hardly gonna be bad with Brant R at the design table... he is one of the greats.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    So, essentially it's the same setup as a Santa Cruz Vpp, or a Whyte quad link.

More like Giant Maestro or DW Link.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    when will bike makers drop the standard drivetrain side pictures as they are worthless.

It harks back to the days when the Drivetrain made the bike rather than the frame.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    GHill wrote:
    So, essentially it's the same setup as a Santa Cruz Vpp, or a Whyte quad link.

More like Giant Maestro or DW Link.
    Same configuration. (can't remember the maestro though, that might differ slightly)
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    bout to say nothing like the Mondraker suspension which compresses the shock from both sides.

Wait and see i guess.
  • nicklouse
    Ragley_FS_Prototype_001_-_shed.jpg
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Anonymous
    bout to say nothing like the Mondraker suspension which compresses the shock from both sides.

Wait and see i guess.
    How the shock is compressed has little effect. The ratio, and compression curves etc do have an effect however.
  • nicklouse
    It was my work with Vitus switched me on to a new facility, through a bizarre "we'd better go see that factory" visit in late November last year. And it was there that we first stumbled across this great bunch of people with a great factory, amazing testing facility, and fantastic engineers. We found two amazing suspension platforms, the Horst link design we're using for Vitus (that has been seen on Bikeradar) , and this brand new dual link design that we've used for Ragley.

http://shedfire.posterous.com/brain-dum ... ect?ref=nf
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    joshtp wrote:
    hmmm, similar to trek... .

Thats what I thought. Shock is connected at the top to the linkage and to the rear triangle at the bottom so that the whole thing moves as it compresses allowing longer travel
  • Anonymous
    nicklouse wrote:
    Ragley_FS_Prototype_001_-_shed.jpg
    Lol, very vaguely from that image...

IT WILL HAVE A HEADSET!!!!!
    IT WILL HAVE A CHAINSET AND A REAR SHOCK ABSORBER!!!!!
    IT WILL HAVE CHAINSTAYS AND SEATSTAYS!!!!!
    :lol:

You're right, images from the other side of the bike would be much more helpful!
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    edited March 2011
    i hope brant pays giant some royalties, especially if the bottom shock mount doubles as the main pivot. looking at my trance the top linkage looks almost identical. the rear triangle is not too far removed either. hats off to the maestro :wink:
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    There doesnt appear to be a linkage at the rear drop-out either. Surely thats gonna result in a very unusual and awkward rear wheel travel??
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    dan shard wrote:
    There doesnt appear to be a linkage at the rear drop-out either. Surely thats gonna result in a very unusual and awkward rear wheel travel??
    it doesnt need them its a floating rear triangle ala vpp or maestro or pace and so on.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • Thewaylander

Wait and see i guess.
    How the shock is compressed has little effect. The ratio, and compression curves etc do have an effect however.

indeed, but this changes the angle of the shock so it does have an effect :P But i'm not gonna draw a forces diagram at work, but the difference from this is minimal and the other things you mention have a larger effect.
  • Anonymous
    No, what I mean is that having the shock compressed by the linkages means nothing. You could achieve the same thing with one end fixed.
  • nicklouse

Wait and see i guess.

indeed, but this changes the angle of the shock so it does have an effect :P But i'm not gonna draw a forces diagram at work, but the difference from this is minimal and the other things you mention have a larger effect.

Mmmm

how the spring is compressed has a big effect. and How the damper is compressed has some effect but not as much as the valving.

what is interesting is the designs that are going towards linear shock compression.
  • Anonymous
    What I mean is that given the same ratios of compression, and the same actuation curves, the fact that the shock is attatched to the frame at one end, or to linkages both ends makes no difference. It is these actuation curves that are important.
    Attatching it to the linkage both ends is a quite elegant way of tuning it though.
  • Thewaylander
    it is indeed, though gives more moving parts to break :p
  • Anonymous
    Not really no. You have the same amount of parts as normal. It's just that one one (more) of the shock mounts is mobile.