HT2 crank arm mount bolt

mastermosher
mastermosher Posts: 233
edited March 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all. Its been a while.
I have a shimano XT crank on my ride, but I am having trouble undoing the non drive side crank arm bolt.
I ahve undone the crank arm pinch screws and it will not budge. I am using the plastic shimano adapter as well, but to no avail. I was going to use some pliers or molgripps on the adapter but as it it plastic did not want to obliterate it.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Cheers y'all
I don't mind what they say... as long as they say its enormous

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    do you have the plastic anti fall off spacer in the slot where the pinch bolts were? some times the pin can stop the preload bolt turning.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I suspect Nick is right on the money, since that preload bolt should not really be "tight" at all.
  • Hi and thanks for the reply.
    The anti fall off stopper is present between the two parts of the arm where it should be.
    Is it worth me using pliers on the tool as I have another one knock around.
    This if f**king tight to say the least and I am no weakling.
    I have an SLX chainset on my other ride and it was no way as tight as this.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Prise open the locking washery thingumajig, and it should undo with light finger force.
  • Hi,
    I will try and fettle with it tomorrow.
    Cheers
  • Hi, I have fettled again with the NDS prelaod cup, with all the advice given and still it will not budge.
    I tried plies and molgripps and all it did was to round the edges on the shimano tool.
    itis worth me braking the preload cup with a sharp instrument and hammer, and istalling a new one.
    Any other suggestions before i use brute force is appreciated.
    Thanks
  • nicklouse
    insert something in the slot in the arm as what may have happened is the arm is still pinching the bolt.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Done as you advised Nick. Stiil now't happening.
  • nicklouse
    very odd.
    stick something into the blot (presuming it is not closed) and put some leverage on it.

sounds like it has been glued in.
  • Managed to get it undone with a slot made with a screw driver and a rubber mallet.
    Looked like it had been cross threaded and forced in.
    Made a real mess of my fingers, but at a cost of 1.99 for a new cup which will be installed correctly.
    Cheers Nick and everyone for the advice.