3 Days of De Panne (spoilers)

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,817
    Only 54 riders left for this afternoon's ITT.
    Wiggins did indeed miss the cut.

Lieuwe Westra must be odds on favourite, since he's a pretty top trialist.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    edited March 2011
    Only 54 riders left for this afternoon's ITT.
    Wiggins did indeed miss the cut.

It's cruel, but that makes me want to launch the roflcopter

Unfortunately the roflcopter doesn't play nicely in ASCII here

roflcopter.jpg
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Seems in good form too. Has been quite active in this race though, wonder if there is someone who has ridden an easyish race so far who is going to surprise us?
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Unless he had a crash or some serious mechanicals thats pretty poor from Wiggins. I really thought he might win this race but maybe he's just not that bothered. Even if he was trying to save his legs for the TT, whats the point in that? He's won the TT here before and should be aiming higher now.

I genuinely believe he has the physical capability to win some decent races, but it looks to me that despite his words he's still more focussed on his likely 10th place in the TDF. I've spent a lot of timing defending him on here but am starting to doubt myself now. He has said that he's going to have a proper go at Roubaix to try and get Flecha the win...If he finishes 20 minutes back or doesn't finish then it better be because he pulled back cancellara single handedly and not because he just couldn't be bothered!
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • inkyfingers
    Have just seen his tweet saying that he's not bothered that he missed the time cut and is looking forward to going home.

Sorry Brad, but that is why you've not achieved your potential on the road. I guess you'd rather just stay at home and venture down the manchester velodrome for a few hours a day and be home in time to watch Emmerdale with the kids on your lap. That's fine for a track rider, and boy you were a truly great track rider, but professional road racing is not like that, you will be away from home a lot, staying in shitty hotels and racing on shitty roads. Hell, sometimes it even rains outside. If you don't like the life then you didn't have to sign that fat contract with Sky did you, you could have just stayed at home drinking then turn up a couple of times a year at the world cup to make sure you qualify for the Olympics and the Worlds. There are a lot of people who would give their left testicle for the life you have, so either shape up or ship out.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Have just seen his tweet saying that he's not bothered that he missed the time cut and is looking forward to going home.

Sorry Brad, but that is why you've not achieved your potential on the road. I guess you'd rather just stay at home and venture down the manchester velodrome for a few hours a day and be home in time to watch Emmerdale with the kids on your lap. That's fine for a track rider, and boy you were a truly great track rider, but professional road racing is not like that, you will be away from home a lot, staying in shitty hotels and racing on shitty roads. Hell, sometimes it even rains outside. If you don't like the life then you didn't have to sign that fat contract with Sky did you, you could have just stayed at home drinking then turn up a couple of times a year at the world cup to make sure you qualify for the Olympics and the Worlds. There are a lot of people who would give their left testicle for the life you have, so either shape up or ship out.

Harsh. But true.

Strava is not Zen.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    deejay wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    It's the 3 days of De Panne, can you even name the last three winners?

Of all the stage races Wiggins rides this year, I think this one is the least suited to his characteristics.
    David Millar last year
    Otherwise odds and ends in the past George Hincapie, Ballan, Sean Kelly

Cavendish won 2 stages and Wiggins the final TT - 2009
    Cavendish won 2 stages - 2008
    Sciandri a couple of stages and places.

The race "was" always the build up to Sundays Flanders.

Still is for Devolder.

Every time he finishes 3rd he win Flanders.
    Sorry old son but Stijn's only podium was 2005 when he won it.

My first post was from memory, which interested me enough to check the history.

R.V.V. Sunday and before we leave Belgian Flanders there is Scheldeprijs Vlaanderen next Wednesday in Boonen country near Antwerpen.
    2006, Boonen - 2007, Cavendish - 2008, Cavendish - 2009, Petacchi - 2010, Farrar

I think 07 was a young sprog's first big win.
    The 2008 was when he fell off the podium clutching his bottle and the amusement of Boonen and others.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    deejay wrote:
    deejay wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    It's the 3 days of De Panne, can you even name the last three winners?

Of all the stage races Wiggins rides this year, I think this one is the least suited to his characteristics.
    David Millar last year
    Otherwise odds and ends in the past George Hincapie, Ballan, Sean Kelly

Cavendish won 2 stages and Wiggins the final TT - 2009
    Cavendish won 2 stages - 2008
    Sciandri a couple of stages and places.

The race "was" always the build up to Sundays Flanders.

Still is for Devolder.

Every time he finishes 3rd he win Flanders.
    Sorry old son but Stijn's only podium was 2005 when he won it.

My first post was from memory, which interested me enough to check the history.

R.V.V. Sunday and before we leave Belgian Flanders there is Scheldeprijs Vlaanderen next Wednesday in Boonen country near Antwerpen.
    2006, Boonen - 2007, Cavendish - 2008, Cavendish - 2009, Petacchi - 2010, Farrar

I think 07 was a young sprog's first big win.
    The 2008 was when he fell off the podium clutching his bottle and the amusement of Boonen and others.

3rd in the TT....
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114

He's dropped out of the Three Days of de Panne. To quote his estranged mate, it's just a shitty little race. It only gets attention because of it's position in the calendar.

He finished 3rd at Paris-Nice just two weeks ago, lest those with stupidly short memories forget.
  • rick_chasey
    Did David Millar do anything to replicate his win last year?
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630

Garmin aren't in it.

Don't have a TV today and can't be bothered with a stream - who's winning?
  • inkyfingers
    andyp wrote:

He's dropped out of the Three Days of de Panne. To quote his estranged mate, it's just a shitty little race. It only gets attention because of it's position in the calendar.

He finished 3rd at Paris-Nice just two weeks ago, lest those with stupidly short memories forget.

I appreciate that he rode well as Paris-Nice, but the course meant that any good TT rider who wouldn't get dropped on a speed bump had a chance of a high finish. He then stated publicly that he was focussing hard on the Criterium International but got dropped quicker than a cheap tarts knickers once the attacks started coming on day one. He then also stated that he was going to De Panne to win and then he finishes 5 minutes down on the first day and misses the time cut on the third stage. To add insult to injury he then tweets that he's not bothered that he didn't even make it to the TT despite the fact that Sky sacrificed the chances of other riders who could have won stages or challenged for the GC to help him.

As I said, i've spent a lot of time defending Wiggo, but now he's testing my patience. I was really hoping to see him come out and ride like a team leader this year, but instead he seems to be riding like a lazy prima donna. I don't think he has a cat in hells chance of a top 5 tour finish this year so hoped he might try and make up for it with some good results early in the year, but apart from PN it looks like it's all about the tour, again.
  • rick_chasey
    afx237vi wrote:

Garmin aren't in it.

Don't have a TV today and can't be bothered with a stream - who's winning?

Shame for him. He was good value in the big one last year.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

He's also been ill this year so wouldn't have done much anyway
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • rick_chasey
    iainf72 wrote:

He's also been ill this year so wouldn't have done much anyway

Ah fair enough.

He's the right kind of build for it. Maybe not quite explosive enough.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642

Yeah buddy, taking him to the cleaners.

He did ride well in Paris Nice but his attitude is the problem. Just like Schleckette he does not have the classical love of the race.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,817
    Great time trialing by the Shack, crushing the opposition. These boys are both classy and stylish.
    Plus, they bring a lot to the racing by always attacking.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • frenchfighter
    Ah man, feel sorry for Hoster. Looks painful.

196297_10150205103831391_643841390_8707811_1121894_n.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Is Kuschynski riding this race:

200655_10150199725981614_618356613_8401660_1128680_n.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138

I appreciate that he rode well as Paris-Nice, but the course meant that any good TT rider who wouldn't get dropped on a speed bump had a chance of a high finish. He then stated publicly that he was focussing hard on the Criterium International but got dropped quicker than a cheap tarts knickers once the attacks started coming on day one. He then also stated that he was going to De Panne to win and then he finishes 5 minutes down on the first day and misses the time cut on the third stage. To add insult to injury he then tweets that he's not bothered that he didn't even make it to the TT despite the fact that Sky sacrificed the chances of other riders who could have won stages or challenged for the GC to help him.
    Well I can assure you that that will only embarass him alone.
    Never as bad as the English spectators being so embarassed by Boardman keep falling off in these Northern shitty races.
    Perhaps Brad could win the shitty race in 10 days time. :roll: Well real men do, don't they.?? :wink:
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Another disappointing performance from Team Sky. Hope they are not saving themselves for the Tour of Flanders and Paris/Roubaix coz the competition will be even stiffer.

Were there eliminations for those outside a certain time frame for the afternoon TT as I did not see Russell Downing or Brad Wiggins names featured.???
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Another disappointing performance from Team Sky.

Another? They've been very good this season. It's only this and MSR that they haven't done anything in.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mr_goo
    RichN95 wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Another disappointing performance from Team Sky.

Another? They've been very good this season. It's only this and MSR that they haven't done anything in.

Please could you outline the 'very good season' so far. I think I can remember a couple of stage wins in the Tour down Under. I do appreciate that the amount of entrants in any field means the odds are against. But the same names do seem to feature quite heavily.
    I just cannot see many Sky riders in that elite list. Or perhaps I am expecting too much too soon.
    Do you think they have the squad to get a podium place at Tour of Flanders and Paris Roubaix.??
    Was Brad Wiggins in that TT this afternoon? Talking of which is he really a Grand Tour GC contender.?
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • rick_chasey
    Sky are 5th in the UCI world rankings...

Leopard - Trek are 10th, and sky have 2 and a half times the points Quick-Step have...
  • RichN95.
    Mr Goo wrote:

Please could you outline the 'very good season' so far

OK. Here's the races they've done:

Tour Down Under: Swift 3rd + two stage wins
    Tour of Qatar: Flecha 4th, Hunt 6th
    Tour of the Med: Possini 5th, Cummings 9th (Appollonio 2nd on 2 stages)
    Tour of Oman: EBH 2nd, Flecha 10th
    Volta ao Algarve: Cummings 7th + stage win
    Ruta del Sol: Lovqvist 6th, Uran 7th
    Omloop Het Nuw: Flecha 2nd, Hayman 3rd
    KBK: Sutton 1st
    Vuelta a Murcia: OK, they didn't do much here (Appollonio 2nd on a stage)
    Paris-Nice: Wiggins 3rd + Henderson stage win
    Tirreno-A: Lovkvist 10th
    Dwars DV: Thomas 2nd, Hayman 4th
    Criterium International: Not much, but Wiggins 2nd in TT
    Gent-Wev: No result, but Stannard was very close to a win.

So, in summary, they've consistently been putting riders in the mix on just about every race they've done. Theat's pretty damn good.
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Do you think they have the squad to get a podium place at Tour of Flanders and Paris Roubaix.??

Yes. After Garmin, they might just have the best cobbles squad out there. No Cancellara there, but eight very strong riders. (7 out of 8 of their RVV team have been on the podium of a Belgian spring one day race).
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    Come on Rich, you can't use facts to back up an argument, it's just not fair! :wink:
  • andyp wrote:
    Come on Rich, you can't use facts to back up an argument, it's just not fair! :wink:
    Facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything thats even remotely true!
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • mr_goo
    RichN95 wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:

Please could you outline the 'very good season' so far

OK. Here's the races they've done:

Tour Down Under: Swift 3rd + two stage wins
    Tour of Qatar: Flecha 4th, Hunt 6th
    Tour of the Med: Possini 5th, Cummings 9th (Appollonio 2nd on 2 stages)
    Tour of Oman: EBH 2nd, Flecha 10th
    Volta ao Algarve: Cummings 7th + stage win
    Ruta del Sol: Lovqvist 6th, Uran 7th
    Omloop Het Nuw: Flecha 2nd, Hayman 3rd
    KBK: Sutton 1st
    Vuelta a Murcia: OK, they didn't do much here (Appollonio 2nd on a stage)
    Paris-Nice: Wiggins 3rd + Henderson stage win
    Tirreno-A: Lovkvist 10th
    Dwars DV: Thomas 2nd, Hayman 4th
    Criterium International: Not much, but Wiggins 2nd in TT
    Gent-Wev: No result, but Stannard was very close to a win.

So, in summary, they've consistently been putting riders in the mix on just about every race they've done. Theat's pretty damn good.
    Mr Goo wrote:

Yes. After Garmin, they might just have the best cobbles squad out there. No Cancellara there, but eight very strong riders. (7 out of 8 of their RVV team have been on the podium of a Belgian spring one day race).

Fair enoughskii I bow to your database of results.
    Are you part of Team Sky Marketing Department?
  • RichN95.
    Mr Goo wrote:

Fair enoughskii I bow to your database of results.
    Are you part of Team Sky Marketing Department?

No (civil servant), but I'll happily admit to being a fan, particularly the Cardiff boy. (I just got their results off their website).
  • http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... ation.html

Dutchman Lieuwe Westra (Vacansoleil-DCM) was the favourite to win the Three Days of De Panne overall. He finished in 18'45", 14 seconds back from Rosseler's time of 18'31. "I am pissed," said Westra. "I didn't make one mistake; I was strong and felt confident. The other guy was faster and so he deserves to win. I repeat, though, I am pissed."

No wonder he missed out on first spot. You'd think he could have laid off the booze for another hour.