Chainset For Wilier cyclocross

evilollie
evilollie Posts: 148
edited March 2011 in Road buying advice
I have a wilier cyclocross it has camp mechs groupy.. i am looking to put a new chainset on it looking for adive re the bottom bracket/ size required & the chainset.

It is going to be a commuter/training bike so i am looking for a middle of the road cost wise chainset

any advice would be appreciated

Comments

• Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    Why do you want to change the chainset? If something has worn out then it's cheaper just to replace that bit. If the current chainset isn't giving you the gears you want then let us know so we can suggest some alternatives.
  • evilollie
    the bike i got 2nd hand the chainset is worn and the crank arms have been buffed probably to remove some writing it looks tatty , i was wishing to remove and replace with something more fitting

was considering an fsa cyclocross chainset , but it will be mainly used on the road so was think a campagnolo chainset ?

its an english BB thread isnt it ?
  • evilollie
    had a look at FSA chainsets.... however a common theme with fsa seems to be arms working loose ... anyone had this issue

the fsa seems to be a cheap replacement option for me

ta
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I've got a couple of FSA chainsets, as well as Campagnolo, SRAM - they're no worse at coming loose than others, it's all down to installation. I expect your frame needs an English-threaded BB - it will probably be marked 1.37"x24 - if you measure the BB shell width and it's 68mm, it's English.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • evilollie
    Thanks Monty

i just cant decide what chainset i should go for, its a compact on there at the moment. Any suggestions
  • AndyF16
    AndyF16 Posts: 506
    evilollie wrote:
    had a look at FSA chainsets.... however a common theme with fsa seems to be arms working loose ... anyone had this issue

the fsa seems to be a cheap replacement option for me

ta

I have, on the Gossamer on my Colnago about 200 miles from new, although as Monty Dog suggests it was probably more down to dodgy installation :roll:

As for the original question, if the bike is mainly for commuting then a 50/34 compact would be best? cyclocross specific sets would usually be 46/36, and as such the spread of gears is designed for racing i understand?
    2011 Bianchi D2 Cavaria in celeste (of course!)
    2011 Enigma Echo 57cm in naked Ti
    2009 Orange G2 19" in, erm orange
  • evilollie
    thanks for advice

i will have a look at campagnolo & fsa chainsets.... im thinking that the fsa seem to be cheaper priced