Is this Kona a good buy?

widge34
widge34 Posts: 900
edited March 2011 in MTB buying advice
Is this Kona a good buy. They only have an 18" frame but thats what i need.

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... 1b7s2p1934
----
Widge.

Bird Zero 2
Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013

Comments

• The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    If it fits thats a good buy. 8)
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or for an extra £100 or so you can get bouncy at both ends
    http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... 1b7s1p1557
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • widge34
    widge34 Posts: 900
    i Know you should try before you buy, but as this last years model and i dont think there are any bike shops nearby that sell Konas, will this 18" fit me? I'm 5ft 9" with a 30" inside leg.
    My bike i have at the moment is 17". Will the geometry of the kona be ok for me at this size?
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I'm 5' 10" (never measured my leg) and have the Kona 4 I linked to in 17", but it's on the small side, and 18" would probably have been ideal. But that doesn't really help with the hardtail sizing.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    i`M
    widge34 wrote:
    i Know you should try before you buy, but as this last years model and i dont think there are any bike shops nearby that sell Konas, will this 18" fit me? I'm 5ft 9" with a 30" inside leg.
    My bike i have at the moment is 17". Will the geometry of the kona be ok for me at this size?

I`m 5ft 11 and would normally go for a 19 in a Kona so an 18 should be about right.
    But nothing like trying before you buy.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I would say with a 30" IL (that's on the short side, I know as I'm 5'9.5" and have a 29.5"IL) I would say you either want a 16 or an 18", you fall between the two on most makes as the 16" is about the right size vertically but a little short in the top tube, while the 18" tend to be long enough but a little tall. I ride a 16" as that is what I found at the right price, but unless you like throwing the bike around under you a lot, you'll probably find an 18" is fine.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • lonzo
    lonzo Posts: 62
    edited March 2011
    You can check the kona website for exact measurements of the bike albeit 2011 (I don't know if they have changed since 2009 but you can find old info on the web as well) - compare them to any konas you have already tried - the kona hardtails are all much the same (the cinder cone and fire mountain have a slightly lower standover (0.2") and slightly longer wheel base (0.1") but head angle is apparently the same (68.5 deg)

http://www.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=kula

From my experience of konas the 18 will probably be OK for you I have a mate around your height who rides the caldera 18". The only issue I can forsee is the standover clearance and the importance of that will depend on what you intend to do on the bike - everything else can be fixed by retro fitting different bits (generally inexpensively).
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Please read the What Size sticky.