way of the roses c2c day 2 Grassington>York route advice

tim_wand
tim_wand Posts: 2,552
edited April 2011 in Tour & expedition
Having now got my hands on the Sustrans Way of the Roses c2c route map and having a tendency to want to follow the route less travelled (Especially as I will now be doing this on the Easter Bank holiday weekend) I was hoping someone may have some advice on a bit of a change of route on day 2 between Grassington and York.

Looking at the map it appears there is a proposed route ( opening summer 2012) which runs a bit more southernly.

I was thinking off dropping of the traditional route at BURNSALL/MIDDLE SKYREHOLME and heading SE towards DARLEY HEAD and RIPLEY to KNARESBOROUGH and then crossing the A1M at ARKENDALE before picking up the traditional route again at GREAT OUSEBURN.

my main thinking on this is that being the Easter Bank holiday weekend I want to avoid the hotspots of Pately Bridge and Ripon. (Yes I know Knaresborough can be as bad)

As any one riding the alternative. Is it easily navigable and as interesting?

Comments

• Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    If you go up greenhow hill try not to be phased when you look up at the profile that is incoming!

:D
  • leedsmjh
    leedsmjh Posts: 196
    Turning southeast at Greenhow Hill for Darley Head then maybe onto Clint, Ripley, Farnham and Arkendale would be a good route if you want to avoid traffic.
    TBH most the B and unclassified roads in that area are great for cycling although you will meet hills.

I would strongly advise you to avoid anything but a very short hop on the section of the A59 between Skipton and Harrogate - it's a horrible road for cyclist.