Forest of Dean Spring Classic

jackfeeder
jackfeeder Posts: 269
Hi,
Anyone doing this one - if you have done it in the past what is it like regarding value for money, quality of foodstops etc etc.
I've read mixed reviews about this - all positive about the route tho.
I don't want to travel up from S.Wales and feel like I've been short-changed.

I fear that after doing the Endura Longleat sportive the other week most others I do won't come up to that standard (as in the past).
All my life I've wanted to be someone; I guess I should have been more specific.

Comments

• stevo1602
    stevo1602 Posts: 43
    Hi

I have done this sportive over the last 3 years, and the organisation got better each year, and in fact I have to say Wheels in Wheels did a great job last year...best yet, even if the weather started off a bit pants.
    The route is indeed excellent and quite deceptive with the number of climbs that keep coming, a real test.
    You will enjoy it, worth the trip......just don't stop to talk to the locals :lol:
  • dead sheep
    dead sheep Posts: 109
    I cannot speak for the 2010 event, but had ridden it twice in previous years.

- Yes the route is great, offering challenging climbs through picturesque countryside
    - signage was good
    - facilities at the HQ were poor
    - the feed stops ran out of food
    - inadequate toilet facilities
    - advertised showers did not materialise
    - 'free food' at HQ amounted to a single flap jack and a cup of tea.
    - the event website was badged with a Wheels in Wheels quality mark when it was Wheels in Wheels that were the commercial organisers :shock:

A friend of mine who rode the 2010 event refused to enter and 'rode the route' instead but did not use any of the event facilities. I wish I had done the same in 2009. This event sadly coloured my perspective of sportives and their cost.

I would advise that you find an alternative sportive with a solid reputation or ride an audax if there are any in that area.
  • Lycra Man
    Lycra Man Posts: 141
    Picking up on that last point - there is an Audax in the area, but you've just missed it!!

The Dean statrted from Oxford, on Saturday mnrning, and went through Stow on the Wold, Newent, through the Forest of Dean, Cheptow, Marlborough, Malmesbury, Membury Services and back to Oxford.

300 km which I managed in 16.5 hours, and all for £6.00 or so. OK, that doesn't include any food, and there are no signs to follow, but Audax are fantastic value for money, and I enjoy the company.

Check out http://www.aukweb.net/events/ - you'll find many more events, all round the country. And we don't all have beards......

Lycra Man
    FCN7 - 1 for SPDs = FCN6
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Lycra Man wrote:
    there is an Audax in the area,

Check out http://www.aukweb.net/events/ - you'll find many more events, all round the country. And we don't all have beards......

Lycra Man
    dead sheep wrote:
    I would advise that you find an alternative sportive with a solid reputation or ride an audax if there are any in that area.

Distance:110 km Date:Saturday 7th May 2011 Time:10:00 Starting from: Parkend, Forest of Dean Fee: £4.00

Distance:54 km Date:Saturday 7th May 2011 Time:10:30 Starting from: Parkend, Forest of Dean Fee: £4.00
  • jhop
    jhop Posts: 369
    I have ridden this event several times including 2010 and really enjoy it. The biggest drawback for me each time has been the traffic congestion on the final climb to Symonds Yat which on a Sunday seems to attract a fairly high level of cars. The rest of the route though is excellent and it is quite unusual in that you are never far from the start / finish which does give you flexibility should a problem arise.
    This is one of the events that each time I ride I feel drawn to return to and I will be back again this year. I recently rode the Cheltenham Flyer Audax and before that The Cotswold Corker Audax both rides that I also find have enduring appeal.
    Despite what so many other posts on this forum seem to indicate for me there is scope for both types of ride and I am more than happy to continue do both.
  • pantsani
    pantsani Posts: 114
    I'm in for the FOD Spring Classic as I'm based in Chepstow, would have entered on the day last year but I felt rough and it just looked horrible in the morning so I didn't bother.

I know I will end up paying to ride the same roads I train on , but hey ho entering an event normally makes me train harder in the run up to it for some reason so worth it for me.
  • acidstrato
    acidstrato Posts: 945
    i was planning on riding it but i've somehow managed to swap sunday shifts to that sunday so unless I can get someone to swap, I guess I'll have to miss it this year

should be easy getting somebody to want to work a sunday sandwiched between two bank holidays :cry:
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • Brewsterwmb
    Brewsterwmb Posts: 145
    jackfeeder - a little confused when you say travel up to... Your in South Wales? Like the drive must be 40 mins? People travel from London. Loads of us are coming over from Bath, A whole hours drive away!

I've done this one since it started and variuos Uk sportives over the past 6 years. It's one of my favs by a royal mile! Food stop quality, well like most things people will have their own expectations and experiences to judge what makes good etc. I only stop at one on this route and thats the one stop that doubles up depending on what millage you come at it from. I stop at food stops for 30 secs and them im off. Not sure what other peoples demands are for food stops these days? Bacon sarnie? Deck-chairs maybe? but then I am to complete this one in 5:15 - 5:30

It's a roller-coaster of a route in some great scenery with a great small, friendly atmosphere. the major downside to this one is the start. Great if its dry, rubbish it its wet!
    “Look where you want to go. Not where you are going”
  • jhop
    jhop Posts: 369
    Yeah what is this obsession with food and feed stations? Most weekends I will try and ride out with my club maybe 4 - 5 hours or so and we will have a banana and gel or two as we ride.

When I pay and enter an event like the FODSC I do expect to have a bit more but a brief refuel and toilet stop combined with the obligatory timing check is surely enough.
    Last year I noticed that on this ride they had improved access to toilets which certainly makes life easier for female riders and is probably more sociable/environmentally friendly. Fair do's when feed- stations run out completely of basics e.g. Etape du tour 2006 for later riders in intense heat at the bottom of Alpe d'Huez and 2009 at Chalet Renard on Ventoux then they deserve to be taken to task; but 85 miles all within a short distance of Monmouth come on!!!

Interesting routes in challenging and varied relatively traffic free locations is what I look for and if the organisers are able to get riders away and back fairly efficiently then for me the event is doing ok. Last weekends Cheshire Cat sadly did not quite tick the getting riders away and back quickly box although in most other respects was for me an excellent ride. I got to ride for 6 hours in a completely new and stimulating area with 000's of other like minded riders.
  • jackfeeder
    jackfeeder Posts: 269
    Brewsterwmb - my drive is about 90mins to get to Monmouth - time+petrol costs are both precious commodities so I want to make sure it's worth it. I did the 7 bridge event last year which went through the Forest Of Dean and really enjoyed that part of the ride, that's why I'm tempted by this one.
    jhop - I always take my own bars/gels/torq refills like I would if I was going out for a long ride but I've done quite a few sportives and want to feel like I'm getting something for my cash - trying to be more selective these days.
    Thanks for the comments - I'll have a ponder.
    All my life I've wanted to be someone; I guess I should have been more specific.
  • jhop wrote:
    Yeah what is this obsession with food and feed stations? Most weekends I will try and ride out with my club maybe 4 - 5 hours or so and we will have a banana and gel or two as we ride.

Like you, I personally prefer to be self reliant. However, complaints about poor feed stations are justified. If the cost of entry includes feed stations then feed stations should be provided. IIf an organiser advertises a good and then fails to deliver, the seller will have failed meet the contract and may be mis-selling. I suspect that many sportivers plan their logistics based upon what food they rightly expect to be provided with. It is no wonder they complain if their is a failure to deliver. Fortunately, many sportives do deliver.