Will I be laughed at for riding this

Typerchris
Typerchris Posts: 74
edited March 2011 in MTB general
Hi guys I'm just new here so first of all I will say a massive hi.

I decided to get back into the mtb scene so went out and bought myself a 2011 Scott aspect 40 in White which is fine but after chatting to a few people about my rekindled interest I was offered a nearly complete 2008 Scott scale 20 carbon for very little money so decided to buy this aswell. Problem is I didn't know much and i now realise it's the woman's contessa version. The pink detailing should of screamed this to me. Question is will I look daft riding this.

Hopefully this pic will work

http://www.evanscycles.com/product_imag ... n-bike.jpg

Comments

• hoochylala
    hoochylala Posts: 987
    Is the only difference between that and the mens version the pink detailing? I wouldn't worry in the slightest, I mean it could be worse you could of bought a pink on one 456 :)

FTOO456_P2.jpg
  • I beleive so. I am going to make sure all other parts that go on are White/black.

Wow now that would turn a few heads
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    As far as I'm aware it's exactly the same frame as the men's bike so it's not as if you're riding something with "women specific geometry" or whatever they call it.

Nothing wrong with a bit of pink, don't worry about how you look while riding anyway, I've recently got into riding around in my lovely new tiger onesie, it's got holes in the bottom of the feet for my cleats.
  • hoochylala
    hoochylala Posts: 987
    Angry Bird wrote:
    Nothing wrong with a bit of pink, don't worry about how you look while riding anyway, I've recently got into riding around in my lovely new tiger onesie, it's got holes in the bottom of the feet for my cleats.

POIDH :lol:
  • simpsons_nelson_haha2.jpg

Hehe, just kidding.

It might be worth changing the saddle at some point. They tend to spec the ladies bikes with lady-type saddles.
    Of course, if you still find it comfy then there may not be much point.
  • angry_bird
    hoochylala wrote:
    Angry Bird wrote:

POIDH :lol:

Oh I'll find some pics don't worry. I'm currently considering riding the Dyfi Enduro in it.
  • Yeah it looks exactly the same geometry as my aspect 40.

What does poidh stand for lol

Fortunately it is missing the saddle so I need to put a new one on. It does however have a set of hope x2 minis on in pink which will need to be either painted somehow or replaced.
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,170
    Nice bike I wouldn't worry about the colour. However, you may want to change the seat as it's been designed to accommodate lady parts...
  • camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000
    I am sure if you are worried about the colour scheme you could get a new set of decals and customise to your liking
    personally I would not worry
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    lovey alert

winton1.jpg
  • AndyOgy
    AndyOgy Posts: 579
    That's nothing. The other day, I saw a woman riding the MENS version of the Spesh Rockhopper!!

But seriously, don't worry about a thing. It's a sweet bike and any negative comments will be born entirely out of jealousy.

Us cyclists don't worry too much about stuff being too 'gender specific'. I got some funny looks when I went into Peacocks last November to stock up on leggings.
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    Typerchris wrote:
    What does poidh stand for lol

Pics or it didn't happen.. you'll see that a lot on the forum!

As for the bike, I'd ride that.. nothing wrong with a bit of pink! My other half has a Boardman FI, with bits of pink, including pink grips, chainstay protector etc.. I've taken that for a blast a few times when the Enduro was broken..

Also, men with big stones ride pink bikes (Lol, I read that somewhere!)
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    Ami the only one who thinks the bike looks really good?
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • angry_bird
    I like the look of the bike apart from the saddle, also not so sure about the forks, they could do with some more exciting decals.
  • surreyxc
    surreyxc Posts: 293
    pinks cool, though my only worry would be that like having shaved legs the colour seems to communicate the expectation that you will uber fit and fast, I remeber Olly B had a pink bike a while ago.
  • pilsburypie
    pilsburypie Posts: 891
    I must say I am really disappointed with peoples' responses. Reassuring and supportive.

NO. PEOPLE WILL LAUGH AND POINT AND YOU WILL HAVE NO FRIENDS
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    well even if they do laugh, you can point out that it's a carbon hardtail with a reba fork, DT XR1 wheels and XT, then point out what you paid for it and they'll soon stop laughing

I like the look of it too, nowt wrong with pink on a bloke - no-ones gonna go up to the winner of the Giro D'Italia and tell him he looks like a woofter for wearing a maglia rosa !
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • AndyOgy
    I must say I am really disappointed with peoples' responses. Reassuring and supportive.

NO. PEOPLE WILL LAUGH AND POINT AND YOU WILL HAVE NO FRIENDS

If that's the type of response that you've experienced in your own life, maybe there's a deeper problem than the type of bike you ride. I hope that things get better for you soon. Stay strong.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Bike looks nice, nothing wrong with that. Check the saddle is comfy as said earlier and maybe check the fork spring. If it is coil you may want to install a stiffer spring correct for your weight. If it a air spring then just need to pump it to the correct pressure for yor weight.

Even if it had womens geometry, if it felt comfortable to you and fitted you correctly who cares. If the bike fits ... the bike fits, doesn't matter what shape it is.
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    lush looking bike man, I'd have one
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I thought Scott were one of the few manufacturers who DID spec slightly different geometry and parts for their women's bikes?
    Shorter top tube compared to seat tube, narrower bars, lighter springs in forks etc.
  • angry_bird
    I thought Scott were one of the few manufacturers who DID spec slightly different geometry and parts for their women's bikes?
    Shorter top tube compared to seat tube, narrower bars, lighter springs in forks etc.

Think the carbon scale frame is universal for men and women although I think the aluminium frames are different :?:
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    edhornby wrote:
    well even if they do laugh.....,then point out what you paid for it

Or it could make them laugh even louder :lol::lol:
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    I think it looks awesome man.. i'd ride that if I was paying full price over the mens version..
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • paul_75
    paul_75 Posts: 61
    dont know why men get hung up about pink, the place you want to be more than anywhere else in the world is pink :lol:
  • AndyOgy
    Talking of pink bikes, have you all seen the video that just got added to the Bikeradar homepage?

I have just fallen in love a million times over.
  • Biffz0id
    Biffz0id Posts: 123
    hoochylala wrote:
    Is the only difference between that and the mens version the pink detailing? I wouldn't worry in the slightest, I mean it could be worse you could of bought a pink on one 456 :)

FTOO456_P2.jpg

Built one of them up for my GF and I have no shame in riding it :).
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    if i had fallopian tubes and a propensity towards nagging i would happily ride the girly scott.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    Biffz0id wrote:
    hoochylala wrote:

FTOO456_P2.jpg

Built one of them up for my GF and I have no shame in riding it :).
    no shame in riding what ??? the GF or the on-one ?
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • panzer8
    panzer8 Posts: 36
    I really wouldnt worry about it mate, even DH monsters ride them pink.

http://ee.orangebikes.co.uk/images/news/ben_cathro.jpg