First off - ouch! Whose fault?

pianoleo
pianoleo Posts: 135
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
I had my first off today, after about 7 months of regular cycling since last July (two months off when I've been away). It was on Brockley Rise, a road I use three+ times per week, and it was bloody painful.

My first words to the van driver I collided with were "I'm so sorry, that was completely my fault", and whilst it occurred to me that I ought to get his details, it also occurred to me that it was completely my fault. So, stupid as I am, I completely ignored the first rule of what to do in an accident, and regardless of blame either way, all of my costs are mine.

That said, as the day's gone on (I came off at 10.20am) I've been wondering more and more about the chain of events and the cause of my accident. I'd like your opinions, fellow users of bicycles!

I was cycling along a main road, in primary, and there was a TNT van a good 10 yards ahead of me indicating left into a side road. He proceeded to turn, I moved out to the right to pass his rear end, and mid manoeuvre he stopped dead. My left armpit/chest region smacked his rear right corner (tail lift) and I flew arras over tits.

He parked up, apologised, insisting that it was his fault, and told me to grab a cup of tea from the cafe on the corner before pursuing, and a couple of passersby stopped to help me pick up my bike, glasses, contents of pannier (the bike fell on the pannier and it split down the side - so much for indestructible Vaudes!).

Now, in a two car accident this would be seen as my fault - I rammed a van, fair and square. What do you lovely people think?

To finish off the story, I got a cab home, cleaned and covered my wounds, and got another cab into work. The bike's parked up - the chain's off so I doubt anyone'll try and take it, but either way, it's secure. They can nick the helmet - it's no good to them anyway now it's done its job once! I'll drop it into the LBS tomorrow for a thorough look and service, but the wheels seemed true so unless the frame or fork are damaged I think I've got away ok.

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Afraid it sounds like your fault, imagine its its the same as if it were a 2 car accident, you went into the back of him, unfortunate as it was.

Still, at least he was nice about it, hope the bikes ok and more importantly the wounds heal.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Glad you're okay. Does sound like your fault from the way you've described it. Did he say why he stopped halfway through turning?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Yeah, your fault technically, I'm afraid. Most importantly, though, glad you're ok.
  • pianoleo
    Yeah, he said he shouldn't have stopped abruptly. There was another vehicle ahead of him that was in his way. Of course, I shouldn't have been overtaking a turning vehicle anyway, but in this case I guess it was just one of those flukes.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Unfortuately your fault, but good to see everyone being so helpful and reasonable about it. Lesson learned I guess, and glad to hear you're okay.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    At the end of the day he stopped because he had to, and you couldn't, so yes, your fault I'm afraid, at least commuting on a fast country road as I do I'm rarely ever going to be close enough behind a vehicle to have this!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    @pianoleo

Nice to see someone taking responsibility for their actions rather than blaming all and sundry. Driver seems like a decent chap too. Chapeau to you both and glad that no lasting damage was done.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Bad luck, it does sound like your fault

Did I understand right? You left your bike at the site of the accident unlocked and are assuming that because teh chain has dropped off no one will nick it? If so, I wouldn't even bother going back for it...

I saw a couple of minor offs this morning which is unusual. On the way through Bermondsey I was behind a stream of other cyclists filtering through traffic. a couple of cyclists ahead of the woman in front of me streamed through a gap between the front of a van and the back of a small lorry, both stationary. When the woman in front of me got to the gap, the van driver decided to block the gap and drifted fowards slowly. The poor woman on the bike jammed her front brake on and fell onto the side of the van, the rear end of her bike mashing into the passenger door of the van....

Later on Tooley St I saw a guy on a Brompton coming out of a side road suddenly jam on his brakes, not sure if the lights had changed or a ped walked out but he was going pretty quickly and came to a skidding halt before completely wiping out.

Bad day for it!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Gussio wrote:
    @pianoleo

Nice to see someone taking responsibility for their actions rather than blaming all and sundry. Driver seems like a decent chap too. Chapeau to you both and glad that no lasting damage was done.

Couldn't agree more. Fair play for stepping up and taking the blame when it was your fault. Delivery drivers have a bad name amongst cyclists so it's good to hear of one who was prepared to put himself out to make sure you were alright in an accident that clearly wasn't his fault.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Mr Plum wrote:
    Gussio wrote:
    @pianoleo

Couldn't agree more. Fair play for stepping up and taking the blame when it was your fault. Delivery drivers have a bad name amongst cyclists so it's good to hear of one who was prepared to put himself out to make sure you were alright in an accident that clearly wasn't his fault.

+1

Hope you and the bike are OK
  • pianoleo
    @Headhuunter No, you read wrong. The bike is locked to an immovable object. In a slightly irrational haze I left my helmet clipped to the top tube, with no cable lock through it or anything else, but if someone nicks that it saves me the bother of putting it in the bin.

Thanks all - I haven't been out yet to deal with the bike. I'm in a whole new world of pain today but slept better than I expected.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Deffo sounds your fault, as you can't guarantee the driver has a clear exit off the road, like in this case.

Happens. Hope you and bike are OK.
  • pianoleo
    I've taken today very easy. Woke up in a world of pain this morning, but had slept better than I expected I would. I called my GP, who couldn't see me for a week(!), then NHS Direct who sent me to a minor injuries unit. Minor injuries sent me to A&E so I've been to Lewisham Hospital who looked after me very well. They X-Rayed my chest - no ribs broken and my collarbone's fine. Paracetemol and Ibuprofen for a week but no lasting damage.

I haven't picked up my bike yet - that's a job for tomorrow - but I shouldn't think I'll be riding for a while as my coccyx hurts like hell.

We live and learn...
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    pianoleo wrote:
    They X-Rayed my chest - no ribs broken and my collarbone's fine.

Just a bit of advice: it's pretty damn hard to tell if a rib is broken from most X-rays, especially if they're "focused" on a different spot*. You're very likely fine, but if you suspect you've broken a rib, you might well have - the best advice is take it easy because hospitals can't do much for them anyway. This bit's basically meant to be reassurance along the lines of "don't panic" -- ribs usually hurt a lot.

Either way, glad you're ok, and everybody behaved like, well, people.

*; Yeah, it's not focusing, it's to do with columnation or something, or maybe focusing, or maybe the phases of the moon. I dunno. Fizziks, innit.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    pianoleo wrote:
    I was cycling along a main road, in primary, and there was a TNT van a good 10 yards ahead of me indicating left into a side road. He proceeded to turn, I moved out to the right to pass his rear end, .

Obviously I don't know the road in question but it sounds like you were directly behind the van with no view of the side road. If a vehicle pulled out of the side road and was turning right i.e. across the van, and you went flying round the van there's a potential you'd have been in a far worse accident.

Anyway glad you've lived to tell the tale - I've gone into the back of vehicles before but fortunately only at very slow speeds.
  • pianoleo
    Thanks @davis. I've just read an information card from Lewisham PCT that basically says the same thing, albeit in fuzzier terms. It states that X-Rays usually aren't taken following a rib injury as fractures don't necessarily show, and that the treated of fractured ribs and bruised ribs is the same.

I suppose it's not the greatest news, but am woefully aware it could've been a lot worse.