Beginners guide to use trains from london for dayrides

Juststartingbutexcited
edited March 2011 in Road beginners
Hi

I have just purchased my first road bike and am based in central London (zone 1). I am keen to escape the traffic lights and get out into the countryside. How I should approach catching a train outside of London for weekend day rides?

I am looking for advice in terms of kit and practicalities. I am trying to avoid having taking any unnecessary gear that requires a backpack however I assume the other end of the spectrum leaves me walking around Liverpool/londonbridge or Kings Cross stations in my cleats.

Do many people lock up their bikes while on the train as well to ensure no one can walk off with it at a stop?

I know there are restrictions on taking bikes during rush hours however I assume there are no problems on weekends.

Thanks.

Comments

• unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    If it's quiet roads you're after catch the sleeper to the Highlands and make a weekend of it :-) Leave London on Friday night, and leave here Sunday night. You only need accommodation for Saturday. You don't even have to get on and off at the same station.

You can get it for 19.00 if you book early enough: http://www.travelpass.buytickets.scotra ... fault.aspx
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    weekends can be a problem!

Usually ok going out from London in the morning but on the way back many other cyclists with the same idea of getting out on a sunny day in summer all head back around the same time and the trains can get pretty jammed up with bikes. e.g. any trains coming from the New Forest area in summer on a weekend will be packed with groups of cyclists. Lots of MTBers use the trains to get out to the nice off-road bits outside London.
  • Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    If you're heading to Surrey or Sussex and catch a Southern train you can sit with your bike so there's no need to lock it. Get on the carriage with a big bike space at one end and you'll find a couple of seats so you can keep an eye on your bike.

As for shoes, either use SPDs and MTB shoes or pack a pair of flip flops in your jersey pocket.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Get some cleat covers.
  • jamesu
    jamesu Posts: 16
    Also a Zone 1 resident, went through the same thought process and concluded the train was too much hassle. Better off picking a quick and direct route out to the countryside - so I normally head down into Kent via the A2 - half and hour and you're at the edge of the sprawl and can start enjoying yourself. Up into essex around Waltham Abbey also worked (and you can use the Lea Valley path as an alternative to the road)