Chamonix

Rehnquist
Rehnquist Posts: 32
edited March 2011 in Tour & expedition
Can anybody offer some advice on road cycling around Chamonix? Can get flights to Geneva so anywhere in that area would suit. Did Morzone last year so looking for a change.
Is it a good base to ride and grab a few cols each day?
any recommendations re accommodation would also be appreciated

Cheers

Mike

Comments

• El Gordo
    El Gordo Posts: 394
    I love Chamonix and rode through it a few years ago on tour. I'd have thought though that it would be quite limited to stay there for a week. There's only really one (non-motorway)road down the valley to Saint Gervais and one up the valley over the col to Switzerland. Both great rides but the first and last twenty miles each day would be the same. For accomodation I've stayed at the campsite, which was fine, the youth hostel, which was OK and a pub called Gite Vagabond which was excellent (in a lively sort of way, but it was ski season).

I haven't stayed there but also passed through Flumet which I thought would make a very good base for a week of col collecting.
  • weeve
    weeve Posts: 393
    agree with above. Been there just about every year to climb since (ahem) the late 80's and there's never been more than the one road up the valley..:)
    Flumet, or further southwards Annecy or north west to Jura a better bet
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    May I recommend Le Grand Bornand. Great wee place with lots of options for climbs. Much used by the TDF for a stage town.

If you do a search on here, you'll find a thread about it.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)