Planet-X vs Ribble Frameoff

turkeytickler
turkeytickler Posts: 640
edited March 2011 in Road buying advice
Hi all - thanks to an unexpected tax refund this month, Mrs TT is finally amenable to me replacing my 6 year old bianchi frame. I didn't even need to play the "it's 6 years old and could fail catastrophically at any time without warning and with untold consequences" card 8)

My replacement choices are limited to the rather tight budget I have (£400 for frame and forks) and so far my options are;

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/FRP ... e-new-logo
and
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... IBBFRAR930

I like the look of both frames.

Despite being a little pricier, the planet x is ahead at the moment because of the monocoque construction, i can get forks for both within budget, but the ribble has an alloy steerer and the fact that ribble never replied to my email enquiring about the forks has put me off buying from them :evil:

What do you think? Any other factors I should be thinking of?

Any other frames you know of?

thanks
TT

Comments

  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,826
    Check out the big thread on carbon frames from china on ebay
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • rozzer32 wrote:
    Check out the big thread on carbon frames from china on ebay
    Thanks, I'm kind of reluctant to make the leap to buying from overseas in case of warranty / returns issues. Really interested in anything available from UK/EU dealers....
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,826
    rozzer32 wrote:
    Check out the big thread on carbon frames from china on ebay
    Thanks, I'm kind of reluctant to make the leap to buying from overseas in case of warranty / returns issues. Really interested in anything available from UK/EU dealers....

    I'm pretty sure Ribble don't offer any warranty, but not 100% sure.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • rozzer32 wrote:
    rozzer32 wrote:
    Check out the big thread on carbon frames from china on ebay
    Thanks, I'm kind of reluctant to make the leap to buying from overseas in case of warranty / returns issues. Really interested in anything available from UK/EU dealers....

    I'm pretty sure Ribble don't offer any warranty, but not 100% sure.
    Interesting, I will look into that...
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Despite being a little pricier, the planet x is ahead at the moment because of the monocoque construction, i can get forks for both within budget, but the ribble has an alloy steerer and the fact that ribble never replied to my email enquiring about the forks has put me off buying from them :evil:

    For your budget, any carbon frame will be monocoque. You need a lot more money to buy lugged.

    PS Ribble are generally best phoned rather than emailed. As for warranty - I think EU regs cover this as well as most manufacturers warranties anway. Someone who really knows can confirm or say otherwise.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • bartolli
    bartolli Posts: 57
    I have a Ribble Evo Pro Carbon frame that I built up last year. They are cheap as chips but very light. It comes with the ribble black road fork which as you say, does have an alloy steerer.

    Mine is a S 49cm and weighed about 1080g on my (probably not very accurate) kitchen scales.

    Ribble do take a while to respond to emails, but I did get a query on my question on the size of the frame eventually.

    Attached is a pic I just took of the built up bike. I'm not sure of the weight of the entire bike but it is definitely below 8kg. Would recommend the frame even though it's a bit bland looking compared to modern standards.

    dsc0081hi.jpg
  • dru
    dru Posts: 1,341
    Bartolli wrote:
    I have a Ribble Evo Pro Carbon frame that I built up last year. They are cheap as chips but very light. It comes with the ribble black road fork which as you say, does have an alloy steerer.

    Mine is a S 49cm and weighed about 1080g on my (probably not very accurate) kitchen scales.

    Ribble do take a while to respond to emails, but I did get a query on my question on the size of the frame eventually.

    Attached is a pic I just took of the built up bike. I'm not sure of the weight of the entire bike but it is definitely below 8kg. Would recommend the frame even though it's a bit bland looking compared to modern standards.

    dsc0081hi.jpg

    totally off topic I thought the picture of the balanced vinegars and oils on the saddle (it must be dead level) and I thought that the choice of drink system at the front was also a unique feature (even if it's pointed the wrong way) :lol:
  • bartolli
    bartolli Posts: 57
    Dru wrote:
    Bartolli wrote:
    I have a Ribble Evo Pro Carbon frame that I built up last year. They are cheap as chips but very light. It comes with the ribble black road fork which as you say, does have an alloy steerer.

    Mine is a S 49cm and weighed about 1080g on my (probably not very accurate) kitchen scales.

    Ribble do take a while to respond to emails, but I did get a query on my question on the size of the frame eventually.

    Attached is a pic I just took of the built up bike. I'm not sure of the weight of the entire bike but it is definitely below 8kg. Would recommend the frame even though it's a bit bland looking compared to modern standards.

    dsc0081hi.jpg

    totally off topic I thought the picture of the balanced vinegars and oils on the saddle (it must be dead level) and I thought that the choice of drink system at the front was also a unique feature (even if it's pointed the wrong way) :lol:

    lmfao, I only just noticed. I didn't even try to line them up, honest!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Dru wrote:
    totally off topic I thought the picture of the balanced vinegars and oils on the saddle (it must be dead level) and I thought that the choice of drink system at the front was also a unique feature (even if it's pointed the wrong way) :lol:

    Mind you, he'd be better off using large a saddle bag for that lot. As it is they'll be off at the first corner!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Cheers Bartolli - thanks for taking the time to provide the pics.

    Lovely looking bike - will be interesting to see how my version looks with ultegra and silver elites....

    I have also opted for the ribble. I was reluctant purely because it was the cheapest option and didnt want to chose it for that reason - however, when i weighed up the pros and cons alongside my priorities, it beat the planex t hands down and the fact it was cheaper just means I can spend more on finishing kit. 8)

    cant wait to get going with it....